Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    running fridge
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

running fridge
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/08
Picture of Cabinetguy
posted
Newbie here,
I have a Dometec Ac-lp fridge. Can I run it on lp in my driveway without running down the house batteries?

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis

Posts: 85 | Location: West Des Moines Iowa | Member Since: 10-06-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Cabinetguy, that's a little bit of a loaded question in that it would eventually run the batteries down but it might take a very long time.
The LP operation does use a minor amount of 12V when the unit is operating. I guess the answer, would be you can safely run the unit on LP but will have to periodically start the engine or generator to maintain the batteries.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cabinetguy
posted Hide Post
Tanks Nick.I just want to have it cold to load and leave first thing in the morning. One maore question. The freezer is quick to cool but the fridg seems to take forever, Wassup wit dat dazed confused

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis

Posts: 85 | Location: West Des Moines Iowa | Member Since: 10-06-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Mostly volume area to cool. Most of the units will take awhile to cool if they have been turned off. I will usually plug in the unit and run the refrig on 110 to cool it off before letting it run on LP. It will get cool on LP but it takes longer. Also let it cool before you start to load it with things. It will take a lot longer if it has to cool the unit and the contents that you are putting in it. If you are taking stuff out of the refrig in the house that are already cool it doesn't take as long. hope this is somewhat a straight answer.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cabinetguy
posted Hide Post
OK Your not done with this idiot yet. How to run on 110.This coach has all the bells and whistles yet I have no idea about the workings of the power system.

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis

Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
To run on 110 you must be plugged into shore power or have the generator running. The Refrig will probably default to 110 if it is available. I am assuming that you do not have an inverter hooked up to convert the 12v dc to 110v ac. That would be rare unless you installed it yourself.

There is probably a panel on the refrig that will let you select the operating mode and will also indicate what power source is being used.

If you don't have a 30A power outlet at home to plug in the coach you could use a 30A to 15A adapter to plug the coach into an outlet at home. If you do this do not run the A/C while plugged into a 15A household outlet.

Nick

Picture of Cabinetguy
posted Hide Post
DUH
Spanx again Nick, you are the bomb. The fridg defaults to lp when I am not hooked up so I assume I do not have afore mentioned converter. Have a great weekend. D'oh

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
I have run the frig on LP for two weeks with out recharging (by accident)and the battery was still able to start the generator. It also uses very little LP. Personally I find the Frig works better on LP than 110V. Since 110V is just a heater I use LP unless I am hooked up to shore power at a camp ground.

Neil.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Also, don't forget that the coach has to be near level, especially with a Dometic. I have to level up, even in the driveway, or the fridge will quit. It has to do with the ammonia, but I can't tell you the exact reason.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
The freezer is quick to cool but the fridg seems to take forever, Wassup wit dat dazed confused

I think the way most Fridge/Freezers work, is the Freezer is where all the cooling fins are located. The fridge cooling is actually cold air bled off the freezer. That would explain why the freezer gets cold first.
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The Dometics I'm familiar with need to be level or left-side higher. Norcolds seem to be oblivious to being off-level (within limits).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post