Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Coach battery replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Coach battery replacement
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
I'm picking up 2 Trojan T-105's next week to replace my two 12v deep cycle barreries. Other than ensuring that I connect them in series is there any thing else I need to be concerned about? I'm currently plugged into shore power.

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Russ where is your battery box? I was considering that but they are about an inch too tall to fit..

The 105 6v golf cart battery is 11 3/16 tall and I think a standard group 27 12v is under 10 inches. The tall ones definitely won't fit in mine. My box is behind my front passenger tire

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited August 21, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I used T-125s which are the same height as 105s. Trojans are a little shorter than some other brands, like Interstate. I put battery clamp terminals on the posts, and used the pinch bolts to attach the coach cables. If you spread the terminal, it will sit real low on the post. I then hacksawed off the threaded stud and the top part of the post. I then used a rotary file to provide enough clearance at the top of the battery box for the posts.

Before putting new batteries in service, be sure they are fully charged. You might want to check and see what your converter is doing. Some do not supply enough voltage to charge or even maintain the battery. A deep cycle battery needs 13.2 volts to maintain it even after it is fully charged.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I installed the golf cart batteries I had to cut some of the aluminum of the frame around the opening to get clearance.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The battery cage on my 33 footer is in front of the propane tank and behind the right front tire

I have 12" of clearance from the bottom of the battery cage to the top thru the opening. My specs for the T105 show a height of 10 7/8 inches

that should give me better than an inch for cable clearance....

if not - I may a couple of batteries for sale....

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
They are 10 3/8 long 7 1/8 wide 11 3/16 tall

http://shop.altenergystore.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=TROT%2D105

Looks like they'll fit yours, I sure wish they would fit mine. I am thinking about if I ever visit Arizona, having one of those solar expert guys down there fit a big solar panel on the roof and put a couple of those gel cell??, you know the ones you can sit on the side, under my couch. I understand they don't have to be vented...

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My Trojan T 125s are 10 5/8 at the top of the battery caps. At my shortened terminals the height is the same.

The Trojan chart says 10 7/8, but they don't specify which style terminal they are using when they measure.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I put 2- 6 V golf cart batteries in my 33' Regal. No problem geting them in - plenty of height in the compartment, but I had to re-jigger the hold-down.

The new batteries are higher, & slightly wider, so they barely fit between the hold-down bolts that are welded to the floor. I bent a bracket from flat aluminum bar stock to fit over the top of the batteries, & drilled it so it forces the top of the bolts far enough apart to install a nut.

The aluminum soon corroded on top of the batteries, & I couldn't remove the battery caps without removing the bracket. I re-jiggered the bracket with a bar of 3/4" square plastic to go across the tops of the batteries, & it works fine now. The plastic is from a 99 cent walking cane I picked up at a flea market.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
If you connect your 2 12 volt batteries in series then you will have 24 volts. 2 6 volt batteries in series give you 12 volts.

You will need to connect your 2 12 volt batteries in a parallel circuit to keep it a 12 volt system.

example for 12 volt systems with 12 volt battery is...
pos. to pos. to the hot and then neg. to neg. to ground would give you 12 volts. This is a parallel system.

A series circuit will double your voltage and give you the same amps. A parallel system will give you the same voltage and twice the amps.

12v automotive style batteries are typically connected in parallel. Amperage is added together, but the system runs at 12 volts. two 12 v, 800 amp batteries in series would produce 800 amps at 24 volts. In parallel, the same batteries produce 1,600 amps at 12 volts. Watts would be the same: 800 x 24 = 1,600 x 12.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited August 22, 2005).]

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my info from the Trojan web site:

http://www.trojan-battery.com/Products/ProductSpec.aspx?Name=T-105

I'm only going on what they state ... hope they fit

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Sorry Russ, I just called Batteries Plus and the guy was kind enough to measure the actual Trojan T-105 and got 10 1/2 inches. So obviously I am not doing well in relating sources in the last couple weeks. Maybe I should take a break from research for awhile. I will be going out to measure my opening this morning.

------------------