Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Replacing an alternator belt on a 1972 Barth
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Replacing an alternator belt on a 1972 Barth
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
-
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Grimes:

What is the best differential oil to use in a Barth?

It depends on the diffy. I use Amsoil synthetic in my Breakaway (with a Dana 80); in my SOB with a GM rear axle, Kendall Elite.

Rusty, would you elaborate on that?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll check those oils out. Tim

Tim Grimes
timgrimes@inbox.com
www.lzontheweb.com
www.erlanger.org

Posts: 25 | Location: Calhoun, GA | Member Since: 03-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Tim,

If belts are a concern, I'd suggest you pack along one of those open-ended emergency belts that you splice on-site to fit the application..

It could make the difference between being stranded on the interstate vs. being able to make a quick-n-dirty repair and limp to a repair facility...

I think mine was less than $20.00....In addition to a full set of replacement belts in storage, I think it's a good belt-n-suspenders approach to address Murphy's Law......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: PL77
posted Hide Post
Maybe add on a Good Sam ERS membership. It's on sale for $79 bucks right now, I think. $79 is cheaper than tow charges for something as large as an RV.

Posts: 52 | Member Since: 03-11-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
-
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Grimes:

What is the best differential oil to use in a Barth?

It depends on the diffy. I use Amsoil synthetic in my Breakaway (with a Dana 80); in my SOB with a GM rear axle, Kendall Elite.

Rusty, would you elaborate on that?

The major choice on the diffy lube is whether the diffy has some kind of lockup clutches (limited-slip), which require an extra additive, usually found in oils with the (API)"GL-5" designation. Those with the "GL-4" designation are fine for non-locking diffies, although, since oil's cheaper than metal, I use GL-5.

Kendall has long been known for making some of the finest gear oils around, so that's what I used in the SOB with the Chebby drivetrain. When I installed the Mag HyTech diffy cover on my Dana 80 in the Barth, I had a pleasant conversation with the Rothlisbergers about their recommendations. They were quite pleased with the Amsoil gear oils, so I went with their recommendation, since I couldn't find Kendall locally anymore.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pl77:
Maybe add on a Good Sam ERS membership. It's on sale for $79 bucks right now, I think. $79 is cheaper than tow charges for something as large as an RV.

Thanks pl77...I recently purchased an RV-Plus membership added to my AAA-Plus membership. Is AAA inferior to Good Sam? I suspect that it is? Does anyone have experience with RV-Plus from AAA? Thanks, Tim

Tim Grimes
timgrimes@inbox.com
www.lzontheweb.com
www.erlanger.org

Posts: 25 | Location: Calhoun, GA | Member Since: 03-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: PL77
posted Hide Post
I can't personally compare the two. A number of people in different forums have weighed in on the subject, for example:

rv.net thread 1
rv.net thread 2

Hope they help, but I do think it's a personal issue. The coverage I had on my current vehicle just expired, so I personally am looking at Good Sam for coverage, especially because--with a plus membership--me and my spouse are covered in any vehicle we drive for pretty much the same rate as CAA/AAA.

Posts: 52 | Member Since: 03-11-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I had good service the one time I used Good Sam when I blew a tranny at the summit of Pacheco Pass years ago. More recently, I had good service from my auto policy ($4.00 semi-annually) when my fuel system plugged up in Tucson, on the SOB we had then. At the repair shop there was a single lady in a Barth who had AAA, & had been towed in from Kitt Peak.

Haven't had occasion to get the Barth towed, but as pl77 says, it's probably a matter of personal preference.

Any horror stories out there?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Chevalier:
In addition to Gunner's comments, I would use a good heavy duty screwdriver as a pry bar to tighten the belt unless you are Hercules. The alternator belt will fly off or shred itself if the pulleys are not aligned or rusty. I would bring some plumbers tape (80 grit emory type sandpaper on a narrow strip) to remove rust from pulleys. Also, a good flourescent shop light would be great help topside. A good cushion or thick towel over the air cleaner makes it more comfortable.

Hey Ed,

"Plumber's Tape?" I'm not sure what you mean. Do you attach the sandpaper to a metallic plumber's fish? Sorry, I'm not sure what that is, or how that would work. I agree with your logic 100%, I just want to do it right. Thanks for your recommendations! Tim

Tim Grimes
timgrimes@inbox.com
www.lzontheweb.com
www.erlanger.org

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pl77:
I can't personally compare the two. A number of people in different forums have weighed in on the subject, for example:

rv.net thread 1
rv.net thread 2

Hope they help...

Thanks pl...excellent information! Tim

Tim Grimes
timgrimes@inbox.com
www.lzontheweb.com
www.erlanger.org

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Plumber's Tape?" I'm not sure what you mean. Do you attach the sandpaper to a metallic plumber's fish? S

Your local hardware store may know it as "emery cloth"; sandpaper with a cloth backing (instead of paper backing), about an inch wide, in rolls instead of sheets. It comes in fine (high numbers) and coarse, e.g. #80. Wonderful stuff.

Unsolicited advice: Don't make this into a project beyond what it started out to be, which is driving the Barth home.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unsolicited advice: Don't make this into a project beyond what it started out to be, which is driving the Barth home.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Gunner, you're right. I'm back on track now. Tim

Tim Grimes
timgrimes@inbox.com
www.lzontheweb.com
www.erlanger.org

1st month member
posted Hide Post
The plumber's tape is just right for this job. It's just as described in a prior reply cloth backed emory paper about 1" wide sold in a roll. It's durable enough and can be bought in a large roll at Harbor Freight Tools for just a few dollars. Without an alternator belt, you won't go far before the batteries croak. You can go a little further by holding down the coach battery switch while driving. This will kill the coach batteries in just a few miles. It's always best to carry a spare belt for unexpected repairs.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Chevalier:
The plumber's tape is just right for this job...

I'm definitely going to buy some plumber's tape, and get rid of as much rust on the pulley assembleis as possible, then install the replacement alternator belt.

I really appreciate everyone's expertise and advise on this recovery mission. From everyone's recommendations on this road trip recovery mission, here's what I plan to bring along:

Gates belts (alternator, and others installed)
Plumber's tape (for all pulleys)
eye protection (for wife helping align belt ;-)
engine oil change
oil filter
transmission fluid change
transmission filter kit
engine coolant
recovery jugs for oil, tranny fluid, and coolant (several)
collection pan for draining
jack stands, heavy
floor jack, heavy
backup "emergency" belt
differential fluid
creeper
closed-end wrench set
flashlights
fastener solvent
in-line fuel filter
latex gloves

What'd I forget?

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Grimes
timgrimes@inbox.com
www.lzontheweb.com
www.erlanger.org

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Chevalier:
You can go a little further by holding down the coach battery switch while driving. This will kill the coach batteries in just a few miles. It's always best to carry a spare belt for unexpected repairs.

If the generator is genning, you can drive quite a distance holding the switch in.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post