Barthmobile Portal
Clear Coat peeling from roof

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/7531019061

03-09-2005, 04:27 PM
hilarlee
Clear Coat peeling from roof
Hi everyone, over the last 6 months I noticed the clear coat on our Barth Breakaway (at the front and rear of the roof) is "lifting and peeling" from the base coat.The clear coat on the sides of the coach seem to be really durable which makes me believe some detailer sprayed the roof to make it look nice.? Does anyone have experience prepping and re-spraying a clear coat on a limited size area? I don't have much luck dealing with body shops so any advice would be appreciated.

------------------
Larry and Heidi from CA

03-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Gunner
quote:
Originally posted by hilarlee:
Hi everyone, over the last 6 months I noticed the clear coat on our Barth Breakaway (at the front and rear of the roof) is "lifting and peeling" from the base coat.The clear coat on the sides of the coach seem to be really durable which makes me believe some detailer sprayed the roof to make it look nice.? Does anyone have experience prepping and re-spraying a clear coat on a limited size area? I don't have much luck dealing with body shops so any advice would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, I have the same problem on my '96: clear coat actually peeling off. Monday I pick up the coach after re-painting the front and rear "caps" and the roof radius all the way around. Texas Custom Coach, where I am having it done, told me the radius of the roof is very susceptible to clear coat peeling from UV rays - the curve of the roof intensifies the rays or some such - and it is common in metal skin coaches with good paint. Sounds weird enough to be true - I believe him, because the rest of the (Sikkens) paint is flawless. He said "supposedly keeping it polished will prevent damage." It so happens the roof radius is the only paint I haven't kept up due to being just out of reach from my usual ladder. I do almost all maintenance and repair myself but have never mastered paint, esp modern with clearcoat. This hurts, because total cost of this "minor" paint job is $1500.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited March 09, 2005).]