Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    broken stud
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

broken stud
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted
Does anyone have any suggestions for removing a broken stud???
Camping World has the Barth to put on new rear tires. They removed the outer left wheel ok however when trying to removed the inner wheel a stud broke off and they cannot seem to free it up to remove the rest of it. They are considering using a torch to heat the stud for removel while running water on the wheel to protect it.

Does this sound ok???

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
After 4 1/2 hours the stud is out. The torch idea worked. Now they will put in a new stud and I should have it back by late this afteroon.
Also I had them replace all the "bud studs" ,I don't know if that is the right word, the mechanic suggested it for safety reasons.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I had to replace all of my Budd bolts on the rear because of the careless use of an impact wrench, probably why yours were compromised.

The mechanics suggestion is spot on because if one was damaged probably the others are as well. I would have the other side checked. This particularly important if yours has only 6 Budd bolts/wheel!

I am NOT in favor of using heat on wheel studs or wheel assemblies, they can be removed without heat if proper tools are used.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim & Barb Rustige:
"bud studs" ,I don't know if that is the right word
Close enough. It's Budd studs and refer to the inner nuts. There is a wheel stud - followed by a Budd stud - followed by a Budd nut.
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
...because of the careless use of an impact wrench, probably why yours were compromised.
Wrong rotation? The studs on the left hand side is left hand rotation. Righty loosey, lefty tighty.

It is opposite of the way most wheels are removed. Normal way is righty tighty, lefty loosey.

It's possible that the tire guy could have tried to loosen it but instead tighten it up and snapped it off.

Bill N.Y.

91 Barth Regal #3709
460 MPFI C6 Transmission
33' Oshkosh/John Deere Chassis
Former Mobile Medical Lab "The Story"

"Without Trucks, America Stops"
My Website: TruckRoadService.com

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
I had to replace all of my Budd bolts on the rear because of the careless use of an impact wrench, probably why yours were compromised.

AMEN

Geeze! I can't tell how much aggravation (and worse) tire shop employees have caused me and mine with impact wrenches. I am now at the point where I never travel without a torque wrench so if I have a tire shop visit on the road I can be sure that my lugs are done right.

I am not a Luddite, but I believe an impact wrench should only be used in reverse. Or forward torque should be limited to no more than nut running. When I worked, our engine shop used no torque limiters, no tork-sticks, no clutches, nothing but manual torque wrenches for final torquing. Everything else failed approval. Back in the Hamilton Standard days, we tried everything to avoid the very laborious hand torquing of prop domes. Nothing we or anyone else cobbled up was as accurate and reliable as the manual Sweeny torque wrench.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
All you guys got it right on the head. The shop guy (about 35+) said the same thing and yep he was taking them off the right way.
He said it looked like that last guy went impact
tork crazy. He said they were torked up way too tight. On the one that was siezed up he had to use a large air impact which he said he never uses for lugs. He even tried to first use a large hand wrench to the point it started to bend.
Anyway I did have them put on new budds on both sides.
Thanks again, Jim