Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Diesel fuel ploishing?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Diesel fuel ploishing?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
I've read that owners with diesel engines should know the importance of polishing their diesel fuel before sending it to their diesel engine! Yet this forum does not seem to address this question.....Is it rather obscure? or just something that we should not worry about??

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
I presume you are refering to the centrifuge process ships go through to remove water fro their fuel. They have huge storage tanks that can collect a lot of water, not as big a problem with much smaller RV tanks, the fuel/water seperator accomplishes the same thing.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Actually, fuel polishers continually process the fuel in the tank so it never can accumulate water and therefore won't grow mold. They are processing even when the engine is shut down. It's probably overkill in a RV, but fuel water separators only work when the engine draws fuel in.

I would think anyone that stores their rig for long periods in a humid environment might consider one, but for those of us that keep the fuel rolling through the engine, it's a big expense for little justification. They do make them in small sizes that are a good match for RVs now. They are a power drain, so best if plugged into shore power.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't buff my engine oil or wax my ATF. This is 99% hype (as Corey mentioned) for the average user. Algae (which grows on the fuel-water interface) is rarely an issue for diesel fuel, although it is for jet fuel. There are treatments that kill algae, but unnecessary for us.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
polishing their diesel fuel

I have available an unlimited supply of .0000002536 m grit discs to attach to any cordless drill for final polishing. They are not cheap but are shipped free.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'll open a company selling fuel polishers and bypass filters. Buy two, get a free Jackalope ROTFLMAO

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/11
Picture of Manuel B
posted Hide Post
For under $20. you can buy Diesel fuel additives that kill any fungus/algae and allow any water to get burned through the system, my GM 6.5L has a sensor at the bottom of the fuel filter to detect water,

Posts: 67 | Location: Alabama | Member Since: 04-03-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
If you want to get actual Jackelopes you can find them at this link. They would be more practical at least you have a conversation starter!

http://www.cabelas.com/product...ducts&Ntt=JACKEELOPE

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
The real application for fuel polishers is for boating. The fuel may sit in the boat tanks for long periods and in humid conditions. Fuel storage tanks in marinas may or may not have adequate turnover to assure quality dry fuel is delivered.
A polisher is often a standard issue on higher end diesel boats. It is a great option to changing fuel filters every hour or so.
On the road fuel is purchased from stations that generally have high turnover so there is minimal exposure to risk. Probably even less if you stick with truck stops for filling.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fixed generators and military vehicles that sit for extended periods are another good application.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
just keep your tank full .On the road fill every morning and do not use the stations that don,t have allot of fuel sold.I try but also have two spare filters on board most of the time.
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post