Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    New Diesel fuel
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Diesel fuel
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted
I just lost the fuel pump on my 1983 VX pickup diesel. The mechanic said it was due to the new low sulfer fuel. It does not lubricate the pump. He suggested I add 8 oz of ATF or marvel mystory oil to 15 gal of diesel to avoid this problem ( a $950 fix) in th future. Anyone know if this is true? Thanks

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
......Ya just gotta LUV that MMO! Smiler

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Read this post from earlier this year. Some injection pumps are failing because of lubricity concerns.

Low Sulfur Diesel

And this post...

Some of it's funny so read the links as well.

More on low sulfur.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know what a "VX" is, but if it's the OEM part on an '83, I'd say you got your money's worth. It must have been the injector pump, not the fuel pump, that failed.

Sulfur in fuel is an excellent lubricant; removal lowers the lubricity. Stanadyne recommends their additive (1:500 or 1:1,000), depending on which you choose, for low-sulfur and ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel.

I don't recommend ATF in fuel, as there are particulate additives (same for motor oil, even ND). A reasonable substitute would be an ashless 2-cycle oil (most are).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
I already posted a month or so back that I have a fleet of IH diesel dumps. He lost 2 injector pumps and the rebuild shop recommended a fuel additive to lube the pumps He recommend Lucas fuel additive. I have used it in my truck for years and I guess I'll put in the Barth also.

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CC... What is "Lucas fuel additive"? Are there any specifications for what to purchase?

Any other thoughts from the Diesel crowd about what to add for lubrication?

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
w/ “FRED” FRont End Diesel
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure the Lucas Fuel Additive will do the job. Specs are very hard to come by, and the claims of "Upper Cylinder Lubricant" are,(as in all cases of this claim) frankly, suspect. Claims are apparently based on electronic fuel injection (mainly gaso, which doesn't use fuel as a lubricant); there is nothing, even in the marketing material, to indicate mechanical injector pump lubrication.

Having been a fuels and lube guy for so many years, I just find nothing comforting in "specs" that say, "Lucas Fuel Treatment is formulated for both gasoline and diesel engines, carbureted or fuel injected. It gives your fuel system what it really needs - a blend of super slick oils and additives with a high detergent action that allows the engine to operate at maximum efficiency."

That's not to say it won't do the job. As for me, I'm going with the mfr's recommendations on my new engine. While some of these mfrs' engineers aren't the brightest lights in the chandelier where lubricants are concerned (DON'T get me started on that!), they ain't terminally stupid, either. They've figured out what works. They haven't figured out what doesn't. And it's not their jobs to do so.

To reiterate my refrain: "Oil's cheaper than metal."

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
I called Lucas and they assured me it would do the job,but I quess they wouldn't say anything different. One thing I would be not use is auto trannie fuild. It will change the color of the fuel to look like off road fuel. As a retired trucker I have had my fuel checked for color many times on interstate rest areas Big fine for no road tax! Never had paid any but heard of those who have.

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
Thanks to one and all . Sorry about the typos
it is a VW diesel
it is the injector pump that went
it is only 23 years old and only 188000 miles.
I can't imagine why it would fail.
I am going to start looking for a Barth in about a year. I knew that you folks would have good info and advice. Thanks again!

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I forgot that VW made Rabbit pickups....

That was probably a Bosch or Kenko pump, and they tend to last a very long time. When I was an M-B mechanic, I can't recall any of them ever failing, but I did mostly the electrical stuff, so wouldn't necessarily have seen 'em.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke