Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    What is Banks and how do I tell if I have one
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What is Banks and how do I tell if I have one
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted
I have been reading a lot of posts that mention Banks Power Packs and have yet to see anything that describes them. The Banks web site shows so many products that I cannot determine what could possibly apply to my coach. What is the Banks Power Pack and how do I tell if I have one?
My coach has a 6CTA8.3 Cummins that is rated at 300HP.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
I know the 94 Barth with the 8.3 engine had a Banks exhaust temp gauge and I believe turbo boost gauge with the Banks name on it on the dash. If you do not have any Banks labeled gauges on the dash, most likely you do not have this installed. Generally speaking they change the exhaust for better flow and have larger turbos with different waste gates and I believe it all depends on which kit and how much money as factors. They were stated to add 50 horsepower to the 250 hp version of that engine but there are those who do not agree with that.

Tom Taylor

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I was wondering because my C8.3 is rated at 300HP and I had been told that unless something was done to my engine only 250HP versions were available in 1993. I do not have any banks gauges.

On that note I have been wondering if it is a good idea to have any gauges to measure the boost of the turbo or to measure the back pressure from the Pacbrake?

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Neither boost gauge nor back pressure is gauge is nearly as important as an exhaust gas temperature gauge.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There should be a sticker (other than the data tag) that specifies the engine HP. If that's 300 HP, doubtful you have a Banks system.

In any event I consider boost, EGT, and tranny temp gages a must.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
I do have a tranny temp gauge. I did find out that the gauge is connected to a sensor on the transmission near the yoke. This discovery was made when I suddenly lost the reading on the gauge one day. A call to the local Allison service center helped me locate the sensor along with the information that that sensor is only for the temp gauge. The really important temp sensor is located inside the transmission. That is the sensor that provides the information for the ECU for it's use and the transmission overheat warning and light.

I may seriously consider the boost and EGT gauges.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Can you post a picture of the engine, more specifically the injection pump? That would not tell us if it has a Banks system but certainly would tell if it was even possible to install or install in the future a Banks system

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay but I have been fighting my computer and it has been winning. I think it is up and running now. Here are pictures of my injection pump. It is difficult to get a clear picture but I hope these help.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

posted Hide Post
You do have the Bosch "P" pump and that is definitely the one to have! Banks and other can modify this pump for more HP along with turbo mods etc.

I can not tell if your pump has been modified (it looks like it has not been) and more pictures of the engine, specifically the air intake and turbo would be of more help to know if it is a Banks system.

Where did you get the info that this engine is indeed 300 HP? Fairly easy, just get your engine number from the plate and call Cummins, The HP as originally supplied by Cummins will be listed.

Usually a 450 HP upgrade from Banks will include Boost and EGT. Not always the case though.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
I finally got off the dime and took some more pictures. Sorry about the one that is out of focus. I hope that they are of some help.

[URL= ]Engine Info Tag[/URL]

[URL= ]Turbocharger Info Tag[/URL]

[URL= ]Engine Pic 1[/URL]

[URL= ]Engine Pic 2[/URL]

[URL= ]Engine Pic 3[/URL]

[URL= ]Engine Pic 4[/URL]

[URL= ]Engine Pic 5[/URL]

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

posted Hide Post
I don't believe that you have a Banks system on your Cummins. You do have the uprated turbo founds on 300 HP 8.3 engines, but I can not see any tampering with the injection pump or injectors or air intake system

It is possible to have just a fuel cam change without any turbo mods but that would not get you much increase in HP.

Your data tag list the HP as 300 and that would be straight from Spartan, doubtful that any mods were made to the engine at Spartan.

My WAG

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater