Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    fuel-sending unit
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

fuel-sending unit
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Does anyone have any idea's how to replace the fuel-sending unit on a 71 24' P-30 with out pulling the side panel of the motor home , maybe by going thru the floor?

KEITH WHITE
RETIRED U.S.ARMY
71 24'L P-30 350

[This message has been edited by keithwhite (edited September 07, 2004).]

Posts: 27 | Location: KILLEEN TX | Member Since: 02-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Keith:

On my 1973 P30 the tank always reads full. It is my impression that the sender should show 80 ohms when full and 0 ohms when empty. As the wires that run from my tank to the gage were replaced once and since have been damaged because they run next to the exaust I will also be visiting my fuel tank sender.

My plan is to:

1) Measure resistance at the sender or as close to the thing as I can get.

2) If the sender is the problem, I plan to use another load of PB rust buster on the tank mouning strap screws and drop the tank on the ground to work on it.

P.S. Do not use your shop vac to start a gas siphon and please do not ask me how I know this. Thank you God once again I am unharmed and alive when a review of the events suggest that this should not be the case.

Please keep me posted as I think you will be working you your coach long before I get to the gas gage on mine.

Timothy

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited September 08, 2004).]

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timnlana:
Keith:

On my 1973 P30 the tank always reads full. It is my impression that the sender should show 80 ohms when full and 0 ohms when empty. As the wires that run from my tank to the gage were replaced once and since have been damaged because they run next to the exaust I will also be visiting my fuel tank sender.

My plan is to:

1) Measure resistance at the sender or as close to the thing as I can get.

2) If the sender is the problem, I plan to use another load of PB rust buster on the tank mouning strap screws and drop the tank on the ground to work on it.

P.S. Do not use your shop vac to start a gas siphon and please do not ask me how I know this. Thank you God once again I am unharmed and alive when a review of the events suggest that this should not be the case.

Please keep me posted as I think you will be working you your coach long before I get to the gas gage on mine.

Timothy

my mechanic tried to pull the tanks but they are sitting on large upside down L brackets that are riveted to the frame i think the best way maybe to cut a small flap hole in the carpet and go thru the floor the main one is the right as the generator will quit before the left one runs out so i know when the left is low will let you know what i run into.

Posts: 27 | Location: KILLEEN TX | Member Since: 02-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
With a leak in my fuel filler, inaccessible from below, I went through the floor to see if i could reach it.

A seam in the plywood, and a row of screws, showed me where structural members were. I went through 5/8" of plywood, 1 1/2" of fiberglass insulation, and the sheet metal belly pan, to find that structural members were in the way of the filler hose. At the end, I had to cut out the bottom of the black water tank compartment and drop the tank to replace the filler hose.

With better luck than I had, you may find no structural members in the way. Good luck.
Roy

'

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
An old electric fuel pump works great as a siphon. I siphoned all my gas straight to my truck instead of a bunch of cans. I dropped the tank and replaced the hoses. Once its empty, the job is half over. Good luck.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My right tank always reads full [all the way] and if it's clean and not leaking should I worry about it? I can top it off and run a couple hundred miles, then change over to left and watch the gauge. Is there something I'm not taking into account here?

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post