Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    I need some HELP
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

I need some HELP
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My question is I am camping in a 30 amp camper...the campground has a 20 amp..30amp..50 amp plugs...my camper is 30 amp can I plug that up find the wires to my ac run a separate cord from the 20 amp to power my ac? Seeing there is 50 amps going to the pole?

Posts: 12 | Location: United States | Member Since: 05-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
All your AC is likely run to one power distribution box (breaker box) and then the shore power line runs out of that (as you said, 30 AMP). In order to do what I think your suggesting, you would need to take the A/C line and disconnect it from the AC power dist box and make a 110V plug. Not very practical, but theoretically possible.

You state the campground has 30 and 50, why the bother to try to use the 20? BTW, you can also use the 50 amp plug with an adapter. There is no consequence to plugging into a higher amperage outlet.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would use the adapter form 50 amp to 30 amp..but as i understand if I use the 30 amp plug or use the adapter I will still be using only 30 amp..I was hoping that If I use a separate line for my ac to the 20 amp that would keep me throwing the beaker and have a little more room to use more electric having the ac on a separate line. I was just trying to figure out my options beside rewiring it all to a 50 amp all together. I do know the trade, but I am not sure how campgrounds are wired I was hoping to get some advice on here. Thanks so much

Posts: 12 | Location: United States | Member Since: 05-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
]Sorry i am commputor illiterate or i would draw you a diagram,Home Depot should set you up with a splitter box arrangement,Have a 110 recepticle plus a 30amp recepticle in a large box.110 HAS TO BE PROTECTED-use a large enough box to accomodate the fifty amp wire with plug .Wally vancouver island proud owner of 34foot monarch.

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wally povajnuk:
]Sorry i am commputor illiterate or i would draw you a diagram,Home Depot should set you up with a splitter box arrangement,Have a 110 recepticle plus a 30amp recepticle in a large box.110 HAS TO BE PROTECTED-use a large enough box to accomodate the fifty amp wire with plug .Wally vancouver island proud owner of 34foot monarch.
Make Sure it is Waterproof

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But would it be cheaper to do what I said to get all the power from the pedestal...to hook up my 30 amp and run me a separate cord to the 20 amp for my ac..would this help me from kicking the breaker. or do i need to take the 30 amp cord off and get a 50 amp one and run it all new cable/breaker box?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Corey and Cheri

I was planning on do what you describe unhook my ac and run a separate line for it to the pedestal so I can use my 30 amp line for 30 amps worth of ac. Also dont the adapter still just send you 30 amps not sure why i need the adapter please explain. thanks

posted Hide Post
every case is different i dont want to run some things through the house,easing the work of some of my guismos.i duly note that the 110 line has to be protected and waterproofed.Wally Vancouver Island.
quote:
Originally posted by just the two of us:
quote:
Corey and Cheri

I was planning on do what you describe unhook my ac and run a separate line for it to the pedestal so I can use my 30 amp line for 30 amps worth of ac. Also dont the adapter still just send you 30 amps not sure why i need the adapter please explain. thanks

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
My question is I am camping in a 30 amp camper...

I would learn to live with 30 amps, afterall it's only camping. D'oh

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to be living in it for 1 yr. So I was wanting to get all the ac i can get 20-30-50 amp is all the same price so I want all I can get.I just thought having one line to the ac would take off of my 30 amp line..

posted Hide Post
[like i say every case is different.Wally. QUOTE]Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
quote:
My question is I am camping in a 30 amp camper...

I would learn to live with 30 amps, afterall it's only camping. D'oh[/QUOTE]

posted Hide Post
cant live with 30 amps...i got to many gadgets lol ;-)

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
So...........I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding on my part. You stated earlier that your RV is 30amps. I assumed that is WITH AC. Now you're hinting that your RV is really needing 50 amps. Which is it?

Additionally, you stated the campground has 30 and 50 amp available. Why not get a spot that has all the power your particular RV needs? Is it a case of trying to get more than you're paying for? I'm missing something here obviously.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok here is the thing my campground I will be staying at is new only 4 yrs old. They provide 20-30-50 amp service so there is a plug for each one along with a breaker. The camper is wired for 30 amp and I under stand what can be used. But I can use as much as I want unlimited of any electric and seeing I can I want to make the best use of it I was hoping I could find the ac line unhook it from the breaker box and wire it into a separate junction box and run a cord to the 20 amp or the reg household plug in the pedestal that way my 30 amp would still be free of the 15 amps I would loose just running the 30 amp line only. I wanted to see if this is possible and work this way. Or if I need to just run a new 50 amp line, breaker box etc. I hope I explained this better this time. THanks

posted Hide Post
I also was saying I need more the the 30 amps-3500 watts or so is I just bought it and I have a lot of things to run, tv,computer,lights,microwave,alot of gadgets. Also we will be in it for a year or so.