Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Docking Light
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Docking Light
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of jer711
posted
i searched for previous discussion and did not find: the docking light (located mid-coach thru compartment door) on curb-side is not working and I was wondering if they can be replaced, how to get the part etc. On the back it says Sylvania 36 Watt 12 V and has two mounting posts with screw down clamps for the wires. Found no corrosion and wires tight (most surprising given what I have found elsewhere in each of my troubles since beginning this project!)

~ 1990 - 32' Regency with 8.3 Cummins on Spartan Chassis ~

Posts: 67 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Member Since: 04-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post
also, any help on how to remove the bulb from the base. I have it removed from the compartment door and it appears the bulb can be removed from the case because I can turn it but I have been hesitant to work it too much and break it.

Posts: 67 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Member Since: 04-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Try this post for a recent discussion on this and the different types of bulbs & lamps you could use.

~ and farther down it'll tell you how to remove them too...

It's tricky to get those docking lamps out and then reinstalled. Once you remove the three bolts from behind the housing holding it in place, the housing just separates by twisting it. Normally, as mine were, these are corroded with crud so it seems the two halves will not separate.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Your dock lights are just 12v square headlights, available anywhere. The connectors are just crimp on's and I would not hesitate to cut the wires close and throw the whole mess away and get two cheap replacements at Walmart.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Tom---I do not believe you are talking about the same thing as my post about the docking lights that Bill has linked to above. The "docking lights" are NOT the back up assist lights mounted on the rear of your Barth. The docking lights on most Barths are round and mounted 3/4 of the way down each side from the front. You CANNOT replace these with "just anything". Even my "available replacement" is not the same as what was existing and you can see the difference between each side...but they work.
p.s. Bill---I'll get to that transfering information into "Pertinent Tech Talk Information" one of these days. Dealing with a personal problem presently that is eating up much of what little extra time I may have....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine are rectangular mounted in the compartment doors aimed to about 30 degrees out. They may be only on mine but they are just headlights.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Some are round, some are square; some coaches don't have any. Some are mounted in recesses in bay doors; on mine they're in recesses in the rear bumper. I replaced mine with rectangular fog lights.

Anyway this is why we suggest photos where possible - to narrow down possibilities.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post
Once I have the lamp housing out of the storage bay door and disconnected, how do I remove the actual bulb/lamp from the ring housing? I was a little confused in the link as it stated the crud and such would make it difficult but to clean and push the lamp out. Which direction should I be pushing? Is this plastic one piece?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
ON my docking lights I replaced the light with a Mulabu low voltage 12 volt sealed beam from Lowes.(Path Light) It looked idental to the one I took out. I put some sealer around the back and it can't be told from original. Has worked for 3 years.. It sounds like yours is the same,one peice

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post

this is the docking light I removed. I am trying to figure out how to remove the lamp from the plastic housing. There are matching bulbs available on-line so I do not want to substitute something like a landscape light or other light not built for this application.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
The number on the bulb is Westinghouse 4411. I had kept the one that blowed in case the path light didn't work. When holding the two together the only difference is the W for westinghouse both has the same connection and glass front. This also fit my old Wheelhorse lawn tractor. I tried Camper supplys with the hole light and couldn't find one I remember having trouble getting it apart. Can't remember how butI know that I had to use a knife aroud the back of the light frame. Mine now can't be told from the other side

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have information about how or if this lamp can be separated from the plastic housing? The bulb/lamp will turn 360 inside the housing pretty easily, I just don't know how to get it apart so I can install a new lamp.

posted Hide Post
The picture seems to show a snap ringnon the backnside. If so use a flat blade screwdriver and carefully pry one end up and out, the ring then unwinds and then the lamp should separate.

Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post

I meant to say it is not a locking ring but a soft rubber gasket. I did try again and it turns out the two plastic rings will separate with enough careful effort - something I am not usually known for. Now for getting a bulb and putting it back together for our long weekend trip.

Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post
New bulb installed (bought an exact match at landscape supply house) and got everything put back together and light does not work. Wiring and connections all look clean and secure. Switch seems to work as the docking light on the street side works. Thoughts or suggestions?