Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Coach Batteries - Electrical Problem
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Coach Batteries - Electrical Problem
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted
Hi Everyone,

We finally got Tonka out of storage two weeks ago. Managed to get it stuck up to the differential in heavy black gumbo backing out of the shed but thats a whole nother story. It's been sitting patiently in the driveway since then waiting for me to get home from work. It's still winterized and the systems are still off line - so I thought. I've been checking it just about every day, excercised the gen under load
and the batteries and everything seemed great.

Last Monday I checked it and everything was as it had been. Coach batteries showed good on the control center. The only thing running that I knew about was the propane sniffer and the power center switch, same as the first week.

Most of the day Tueday and Wednesday morning it rained pretty hard. I checked it when I got home for leaks and the coach batteries were completely stone cold dead. Both were down to 0.15 volts. Everything that I know about was turned off the same as the first week home. The batteries look to be fairly new Marine 12v deep cycle. Any thoughts on what could have zapped them that quickly and what to check before putting in new ones? Confused

Thanks,
Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Did you shut off the Intertec controls to kill all coach connections? I always did if it was sitting not plugged in.

As far as what would drain them, not too sure, but there are a whole lot of 12V items aboard.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Hi Corey,

At .015 volts, I thought the deep cycle batteries were toast and bought two new house batteries. The battery compartment turned into a project. I just got all the new batteries in place and threw the switch yesterday. Everything is fine - except the coach side of the Intellitec BD2 won't disconnect.

I'm using the manual negative interrupt switch for the house bstteries in the battery compartment until I figure out whats up with the Intellitec. The chassis side works just dandy. Intellitec's trouble shooting guide indicated the light wouldn't go out if the gen was on. I checked for a bad gen switch but the gen fired right up, ran great and seemed to shut down without any issues.

Is the Intellitec sensor/switch module located on the engine bay wall directly behind the batteries under the bed.

Any suggestions for what to check?

Thanks,
Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
I had a bad relay and the two relays were wired incorrectly at some time. After that the switches at the door step seem to work fine.

I have solar panels on top, if I disconnect the batteries manually the solar panels will not charge the batteries. I don't know what happens if I used the intellitec switch. I may be better off leaving the batteries connected and using the sun to charge them while the rig is in storage for 8 months. Any comments?

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the tip. Very helpful. Think I'm heading in the right direction now. I found the relays in the engine bay under the bed. I tried the easy way first, just replacing the 5 amp fuses with no change. I found the Intellitec web site and they call for testing the voltage across the coach relay coil to determine if the control panel or relay is defective. I'll get back to it after work tomorrow. Based on the way its acting, I've probably got a bad relay like you had. This is kinda fun (in my driveway not on a trip), buying new tools and learning new skills.

Some photos of the Battery Disconnect Panel and Relays for any other nontechnical Barth owner like me with a similar problem.

Thanks,
Wally

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
That is the same set up that I have.

I have a drain on the starting batteries, was using the disconnect which sort of worked. Instead I put a one way trickle charger from the coach batteries to the starting batteries. When the coach batteries are higher or being charged it charges the starting batteries. Has worked great for 2 years now.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Wally,

One of those magnetic relays in the engine bay is new, can't recall which side. I do remember having to play with the front panel switch to get it to disconnect. One trick I found was to shut it off with the button then turn the ignition switch on. This would often get it to disconnect fully.

Those magnetic relays simply use a low voltage signal to swing a large magnet from on to off and back. They can likely be opened and cleaned, but they weren't too expensive to simply replace when trouble.

I also bought a sealed electrical box that I was going to locate all those components inside of when I found extra time. It is not a very friendly place, with all the dirt and moisture, for anything delicate.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom and Corey,

I ran the diagnostic in the Intellitec info in our Barth binder. The wording was unclear and it seemed to point to the control board but I could hear the relay trying to engage when I hit the switch. Also tapped the top of the relay where the magnet is and it changed from full time on to full time off so I ordered the relay.

Intellitec
Battery Disconnect Relay - 100amp 12VDV
Part No. 01-00055-000

I called the Intellitec number on their website and they are apparently distributing their parts through two other companies. I got mine from Master Tech in Michigan.

$63 plus change including freight.

Pretty easy install for even a newb like me. You need two open end wrenches to install as you are instructed to hold the nuts at the stud bases to keep them from turning and voiding the warranty. You may need a really thin wrench if you have large battery cables and the space limitations I had.

The disconnect is working as intended and we're back to boondocking in our driveway as we try to learn the various systems and quirks. Smiler

Thanks,
Wally

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonka:
Hi Everyone,

We finally got Tonka out of storage two weeks ago. Managed to get it stuck up to the differential in heavy black gumbo backing out of the shed but thats a whole nother story. It's been sitting patiently in the driveway since then waiting for me to get home from work. It's still winterized and the systems are still off line - so I thought. I've been checking it just about every day, excercised the gen under load
and the batteries and everything seemed great.

Last Monday I checked it and everything was as it had been. Coach batteries showed good on the control center. The only thing running that I knew about was the propane sniffer and the power center switch, same as the first week.

Most of the day Tueday and Wednesday morning it rained pretty hard. I checked it when I got home for leaks and the coach batteries were completely stone cold dead. Both were down to 0.15 volts. Everything that I know about was turned off the same as the first week home. The batteries look to be fairly new Marine 12v deep cycle. Any thoughts on what could have zapped them that quickly and what to check before putting in new ones? Confused

Thanks,
Wally
Thanks to my respondents.My coach red light is going off and on the coach toggle switch.The chassis switch used to do the same,now the red light is only going on when the ignigion switch is on and stays on when the engine is running,Does that sound right to those that have the coach chassis combo?Wally 34ft 96 monarch on sparton chassis.

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Hi Wally,

It sounds like your Intellitec BD2 battery disconnect relay and control console are working correctly on the Coach relay.

It sounds like either the Chassis relay or the control panel may not be working correctly or there is a bad fuse or connection from the relay to the control panel.

The BD2 manual trouble shooting guide says to check the 5 amp fuses if the control panel lights don't illuminate. I'd also check the wires from the fuse holder to the terminals.

The light is supposted to be on continuously when the batteries are connected and off when disconnected. I've never looked but think they are both lit when the coach is running.

You said they were both working before. Have you changed anything?

If not, I'm not all that mechical but would look at:

1. The two 5 amp fuses on top of the relay,

2. Fuse wire connections (don't tighten the terminals without holding the inner nut and only tighten to 9 ft lbs),

3. All other connections especially from the Chassis relay to the printed circuit connectors on the back of the control panel (I can get to the back of the control panel by taking out a couple of drawers).

4. Grounds,

5. Voltage on the battery (left) and load (right) side terminals.

Our electrical experts may have some other suggestions.

Thanks,
Wally C.
Tonka

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
quote:
electrical experts

I hope a few if not all the electrical experts are coming to Milford III. I have been following the electrical topics here and have become confused. confusion
So far my electrical problems are just a tricky ignition key switch and the house battery had no acid. Thumbs Up Hopefully no further problems will manifest till I can consult you gentlemen first hand. hmm
-------------------------------------------------Wally P.Just been through this scenerio after i changed my house batteries.After locating the relays by clicking solenoids.At first i found only one fuse at each relay.The relays were hard to get at.As the problem presisted,I got good access after lifting up queen bed.I discovered that each relay had two 5amp fuses each ,I placsd them back in still to no avail I noticed

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wally povajnuk:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
[QUOTE]electrical experts

I hope a few if not all the electrical experts are coming to Milford III. I have been following the electrical topics here and have become confused. confusion
So far my electrical problems are just a tricky ignition key switch and the house battery had no acid. Thumbs Up Hopefully no further problems will manifest till I can consult you gentlemen first hand. hmm
-continued WP i noticed three hefty ------------------------------------------------Wally P.Just been through this scenerio after i changed my house batteries.After locating the relays by clicking solenoids.At first i found only one fuse at each relay.The relays were hard to get at.As the problem presisted,I got good access after lifting up queen bed.I discovered that each relay had two 5amp fuses each ,I placsd them back in still to no avail I noticed three hefty in line circuit breakers,one of them was tripped After resseting everything was fine.W P

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Take a couple pictures and post them if you can. Might help the next guy find them. Thumbs Up
I looked under my bed and someone put a water tank and fuel tank back under there where the engine should be! confusion

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5195 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Take a couple pictures and post them if you can. Might help the next guy find them. Thumbs Up
I looked under my bed and someone put a water tank and fuel tank back under there where the engine should be! confusion
[FLASH_VIDEO] It must be happy hour!WP