Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Headliner sag
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Headliner sag
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Steve Castner
posted
What is the cure for headliner sag if it's not due to roof leak? The fabric just inside the door in an area about 2 x 3 is sagging, loose. The board above it is sound.

TIA.

Steve

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins 6CTA – 8.3 L with 240 HP
Cummins pusher
Allison transmission MT 643
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
You will need to replace it. The fabric is backed by foam and the foam has decomposed so it is no longer attached to the board. Same problem you see with 1992 Buick on the road ahead of you. Wink

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
You will need to replace it. The fabric is backed by foam and the foam has decomposed so it is no longer attached to the board. Same problem you see with 1992 Buick on the road ahead of you. Wink

Thanks. Is it a matter of replacing the fabric or the board as well?

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
Steve, I'm in the same boat you're in. I have lots of sagging fabric on the ceiling. When I replaced my vent fan unit, I got a look under the fabric. As already pointed out, the foam is dried out and turned to dust. In my case it was from the Arizona heat and not from water damage.

Gluing the fabric back to the panels wouldn't be an option without stripping off all the old foam. I believe the ceiling would come out lumpy. I'm leaning towards using a light colored vinyl cover to ceiling.

The project isn't high on my list at the moment. I have mechanical issues to address first.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bones:
Steve, I'm in the same boat you're in. I have lots of sagging fabric on the ceiling. When I replaced my vent fan unit, I got a look under the fabric. As already pointed out, the foam is dried out and turned to dust. In my case it was from the Arizona heat and not from water damage.

Gluing the fabric back to the panels wouldn't be an option without stripping off all the old foam. I believe the ceiling would come out lumpy. I'm leaning towards using a light colored vinyl cover to ceiling.

The project isn't high on my list at the moment. I have mechanical issues to address first.

I'm with you on the priority of mechanical issues.

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
Another thing worth mentioning, the area that is the worst is above the couch. The ceiling from the kitchen back is OK provided I don't touch it. The foam has no spring-back left to it. There are a few dimples above the bed where I found this out the hard way.

As I'm sure you already know, those ceiling panels were installed before the cabinets. Recovering those panel is going to be a pain I'm thinking.

Now I'm flushing fluids, brakes, power steering, etc. Got a slight pinion seal leak too. The ceiling will wait.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bones:
As I'm sure you already know, those ceiling panels were installed before the cabinets. Recovering those panel is going to be a pain I'm thinking.
Danny Z did a great job of redoing his overhead panels without removing the cabinets.

Ceiling work

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Danny did a great job.
We have the same problem. The strip lighting (sometimes called Mood Lights?) in the living room and bedroom that run just under the top outer edge of the cabinets complicate the job on ours.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I know that Danny's headliner isn't the same material. But perhaps you can be creative with filler strips instead.

In my coach I took out the plastic filler strips on the wall and used wooden slats for the gaps. On the ceiling, I used 5 quarter wood planks, diamond plating and track lighting.

Some examples of items to use: Brushed aluminum - diamond plating - rope lighting - wood planks - track lighting - mirror like material (think garage bathroom mirrors) for high impact areas.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
Did you and Danny use the typical foam backed headliner material for replacement, or did you use a material without foam backing that could be glued directly to the board?

I was thinking of something like a heavy vinyl wall covering material glued directly to the board. It would not provide the padding of the foam, but I'm not sure what purpose that serves. Do you think textured vinyl wall covering would work well?

You center lighting and track lighting is beautiful. What are the two identical square units on each side of center?

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Castner:
Did you and Danny use the typical foam backed headliner material for replacement, or did you use a material without foam backing that could be glued directly to the board?
Myself, the ceiling material is original.
quote:
Do you think textured vinyl wall covering would work well?
I don't see why not. I didn't see why a "Dry Eraser Board" wouldn't work either. So, I've got that glued/taped on under my pulldown bed since 2004.

quote:
You center lighting and track lighting is beautiful.
Thank you.
quote:
What are the two identical square units on each side of center?
Those are 2 roof vents.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis