Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    battery charging not Barth ????
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

battery charging not Barth ????
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I have a 12 v deep cell battery on my pontoon boat. 2 yrs old. Had it checked & battery is good but just needed charge. Boat isn't driven as often as our co-owners are dealing with cancer this year. It didn't have enough power last week to start & I am looking @ jump starters as well as solar chargers.

I don't want to over charge it as that is not recommended. I could plug things into an outlet @ marina but don't want to do that.

This winter I charged once up once a month & it started right up & kept starting until a 3 wk laps in use last week & it tried to start but just went to a clunk, then a weaker clunk.

They make solar chargers, solar chargers with controllers?, , solar trickle chargers etc.northern tool & camping world
These are my choices:

http://www.campingworld.com/se...primary&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

http://www.northerntool.com/sh...mode+matchallpartial

I'm soooooo confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand desulfication can be a problem with over charging etc.

When I inquire about this I get soooo many opinions mixed with facts.

Will someone give me the facts in laymans terms about what I should get to keep this thing charged without taking battery out of boat.

Thanks,
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
When was the last time you cleaned the cables and posts.?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
A BATTERY TENDER!!! Yes, I put it in capital letters on purpose. I tell EVERYONE that these are the best at keeping the battery at the charge level needed WITHOUT ruining the battery...
I have them on every battery in my building, as my toys just don't get used all that much. Just as an example, my motorcycle battery is 8 years old and it still starts and maintains like it did from day one! But remember, these help prolong the life of a battery and keep it charged. They do NOT make it last forever....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post