Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Engine will not shut off - new post
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine will not shut off - new post
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted
I decided to rewrite my description of the problem with better info. Basically I turn the key to the off position and the engine continues to run. I pulled off the white wire with black spired striping and I thought that caused it to shut off. However, in this condition several lights were still on the dash like Low Oil Pressure. This morning I decided to see if I could determine which post the wire went on and in the daylight could see the shiny one that had been covered with the female connection. Made that connection and it started and ran fine. Turn the key to off and engine continued to run. What I had done earlier by mistake is to touch the unplugged wire to the post next to it and that caused the starter to engage and engine to run. By touching it to that same terminal again, it shut the engine off. It was like I was operating a safety relay that will not let you engage the starter with the engine running.

Anyway, I am really hoping one of the diagrams furnished by Gillig or Barth covers this or a fellow Barth owner has had the problem and can tell me next steps.

Tom Taylor
94 breakaway Gillig

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Tom, double check that he transmission is in Neutral. The engine on my coach can not be shut down unless the transmission is in neutral.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a N AND N displayed

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell me the part number for the ignition switch as I am going to buy a new one. Thanks.

Tom Taylor
94 Breakaway

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Tom, mine is like Nick"s, I have had it happen when the shift button was pushed and not enough air to shift in position. I crawl under the coach and push the mechanism forward, then come back one notch and it will be in neutral. The engine will not start or stop with the transmission in gear. Of course this is oppisite of what you are describing. Check also the wiring to the fuel shut off solinoid wiring. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Don't know the part number, but I pulled the ignition switch out of mine and took it to my local NAPA. They matched it up very quickly and sold me a replacement.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the problem . Me. I discovered the remote rear engine start ignition control panel while putting a battery charger on the house batteries. I guess I flipped ignition on and left it that way. Funny think when I pulled the wires off the ignition switch the engine started. So, I went looking for a battery cut off and that panel was looking at me with that ignition switch up to on position. Turned it off and everything normal now. Thanks for inputs.

Tom Taylor