Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator Operating Problem
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator Operating Problem
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted
I know that someone recently had the same problem as I am having, but cannot find the post. One day I will learn how to do a search to find a particular post head bang
My generator worked fine during the entire trip to the GTG until we stopped at the rest area after driving thru a torrid rainstorm Sunday night. I should say that while going thru the rain I had the generator running to power the A/C, but it shut off somewhere during the storm. If I hold the start button down, the generator will start and keep running. But as soon as I let the button go, it stops. Doesn't matter if it is from the dash mounted or generator mounted switch. I threw both breakers on the front of the generator and reset them. Is there another "reset switch" that I cannot find or do I have another problem? I thought that maybe something had gotten wet, but tried again once I got home after driving all day and I still have the same problem.
I think there is an answer on this already, I just can't seem to find it.... hmm

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Here it is:

Got the Coach back with a working Generator. Problem solved by replacing the Bridge-Rectifier part # 305-0696 $ 62.14 and a Suppressor-Voltage part # 305-0703 $ 22.08. IF you ever need Onan service work I suggest Cummins Crosspoint. They are in 4 or 5 States. I used the Hazard Ky Branch. Super...
Forums > Tech Talk
06-01-2012 05:05 PM

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
B&K,
Oil level in the generator OK? Temperature sensor OK? What you note is also a symptom of a failure in the "self-check" sensors of the generator.

Matt

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should have stated that I have a 7KW Kohler propane generator which is almost standard on the Breakaways in '93. Barth 1 had the same generator. I wonder if I could have popped one of the two fuses in the front of the generator? Can't really tell as they are the ceramic jacketed type and I'm not sure if that could be the cause of the problem anyway. I am still wondering if there is a "reset" switch of some type, but do not see any in the Kohler manual I have. Oil level is fine and I do not believe it ever got hot. Seems more like some "hold in circuit" problem.
As I said, it was working fine until I hit the rain and it shut off while driving in the storm. Drove another 100+ miles to the rest area (with no rain) and it started acting as I stated above. Drove another 300+ miles the next day in nice weather conditions and it still operated the same way. That is why I am discounting wet components as a cause because they would have dried out on the last leg ride home.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this is the forum that recently talked about this same problem

I have a Kohler convident 7000(LP)That starts while I am holding the Button and shortly after letting off of it the engine quits.I have changed the Regulator and Spark Plug.Any ideas out their?
Posts: 5 | Stompin' Grounds: Duluth | Member Since: 05-20-2012 IP

Steve VW
4/12

Posted 05-20-2012 09:54 PM Hide Post
I had similar problem last summer. (Kohler 7000)Genset would not stay running when using the inside control switch. Mine is gaso but problem might be same.

Went to outside panel, fired right up, stayed running. Shut it off, went inside, still won't stay running from inside.

Problem: my switches are rocker switches: center run, momentary start, momentary shutoff. The one in the gen compartment was sticky and not returning to center after shutoff. (stayed in shutoff mode) The inside switch can override to crank but not for running.

I sprayed the switch and it returned to center, voila! the inside switch worked.

Might work for you.

8607-3346-33TFPOB
86 Regal SE 33 Tag axle
Chev P3(7) 454 carb
Posts: 493 | Stompin' Grounds: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011 IP

Ignored post by Steve VW posted 05-20-2012 09:54 PM Show Post

Dana
12/11

Posted 05-20-2012 10:10 PM Hide Post
Try these links.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...1087061/m/3731073572

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My switches seem to be working properly. They both do the same thing. Once I let go of the rocker upon the generator starting, it shuts off. If I hold either rocker switch in the start position, it will keep running until I let go of the switch. Seems there is some sort of hold in circuit that is supposed to keep the circuit closed once the generator starts and you let go of the rocker switch?

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Here is the page that has the Kohler Service Manual.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...=145102933#145102933

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems there is some sort of hold in circuit that is supposed to keep the circuit closed once the generator starts and you let go of the rocker switch?

I'm not sure how much this will apply to your situation but I DO recall in older automotive apps where there was a ballast resistor..... While you were in the "start" mode this resistor was bypassed in the circuit but when you released the key-switch the resistor would then be in the circuit reducing the voltage to the coil... For starting, the circuit would allow full battery voltage to the coil but when the switch was released the voltage to the coil would reduce to bout 10.5 or so.... If that resistor failed it would do exactly what you are saying... Maybe you could check the voltage to the coil when you release that rocker switch? Just a thought...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are still hitting dead ends,call John in Arkansas. He can probably talk you through on the phone. Heres the info:

Mobile Pump and Generator
501-565-0009 located in ARkansas
I talked with "John".

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
My Kohler liquid propane generator hates heavy rain. Several years ago, it did a similar thing and I let it dry for 2 days. It worked great after that.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay. I have tried all of the "easy" possible remedies and still no luck. I was hoping my problem was like Richard's and some drying out might help, but to no avail. I replaced both fuses in the front of the generator, no luck. The unit starts and runs as long as I hold the start button but shuts off as soon as I release the button. I also notice that the unit does not provide AC voltage while I am holding the button down. It just starts and runs the motor.
So now I'll call the gentlemen in Arkansas and hope he can lead me to a quick solution, as I have a trip planned for July 5th that I will need the generator for...

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, I did have the local Generac guy go thru my genset, check all the connections and tweak it. It cost a few bucks but it was worth it.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish I could find a local guy that deals with propane generators Frowner. Unfortunately I have not found any. Closest seems to be over in the Lancaster, Pa. area...

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

posted Hide Post
Okay, I talked with John at Mobile Pump & Generator. Very nice guy. Seems I either have major issues with the "generating" portion of this Kohler or something as simple as the "4CR" control relay. I'm hoping it is the control relay. He suggested that I check to see if I have AC voltage output as I am holding down the start button. Don't know how to check that and will need a second set of hands to do that. Hopefully one of my buddies might be a little more savvy to accomplishing this testing. I know that when this unit works, there is a 30-45 second delay before my automatic switch would switch on the AC voltage in the coach. But John says that the generator should be putting out AC voltage as soon as the motor starts and probably has a time delay in transferring that power to the coach. If the generator is putting out AC voltage while I hold down the start button, chances are the control relay has gone bad. If I had any idea where that relay was, I would just change that out and see if the generator operates properly.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

posted Hide Post
I have the 7000 gas Kohler, 1984. Pull it out on the slide, and on the upper right hand side of the generator, there is a side panel that comes off adn there are your power connections (you'll see the power cord from the coach coming into this box.) This panel covers those connections and this is also where the two breakers are on the generator. You could open up that box, and put a probe into one of the electrical nuts there. THere is a green, white, red and black wires. The green is ground, the white is your neutral and then you have two hot legs, red and black...each hot leg to a breaker. You should be able to do this by yourself if needed....

Hope that helps...

If worse comes to worse and you have to replace your generator, look on Craigslist. A couple of months ago, I thought I was going to have to replace mine and I found several new Generac 7000 Rv generators for sale around $2000. Also, there was an online generator store that had the same new Generacs for around $2500 with free shipping and no tax. This unit in a sound enclosure would fit exactly in my Royale.

Also, don't throw out your Kohler. Some of us might be able to use parts off of it...

Hope this might help...

K&E