Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Noisy belt
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Noisy belt
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted
My engine belt configuration was originally like this (picture below) when I bought my Barth. The only difference was the power steering belt ran off the crank alone. The A/C compressor belt was around the crank and the water pump. The alternator belt also was around the crank and water pump.

When I was replacing a dying alternator, I took off the air pump. The dash A/C was shot so I took the compressor off too.

My current belt setup looks like this.

Do any of you see a problem with this setup? The belts are new. Also the same belt fits in both positions which I like, one belt # to stock. The alternator is new and was bench tested. I don't understand why the damn thing keeps slipping. There is plenty of belt wrap-around on the pulley but there is the long trip down to the crank but I've seen longer. The pulley alignment is dead on. Maybe it need to be a bit tighter?

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I probably cannot express this clearly enough...
You have changed the direction of pull on the alternator. It used to be tensioned like an arrow on a bowstring. The air pump probably had a tension adjustment. Now that aid is gone, combined with the fact your alt. adjustment arc now has a different relationship with the direction of belt tension.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
So would an idler be the way to correct this? The air pump pulley is about shot. It looks like something had been rubbing on it at some point. I'd rather not replace the air pump if I can get away with it.

The air pump did have a small amount of adjustment but to replace the belt, I just loosen the alt. All of the adjusting was done with the alt.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bones:

My current belt setup looks like this.

Do any of you see a problem with this setup?

I ran mine with the AIR pump removed for a coupla years. No problem.

Does your power steering pump also power a HydroBoost for the power brakes?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
Yep, PS runs a hydroboost.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I would worry about running the power steering and particularly power brakes with just one belt. That not only puts quite a load on the belt, but a failure of that single belt could be a problem.

With two belts, they are sharing the load, so should last much longer, plus you have one left if the other fails.

My deactivated air cond compressor is still in position as an idler for that reason.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Did your engine originally have 2 AIR pumps?

I think you can still add a second belt which goes only from the crank to the Hydroboost pump.

Are you running a steering stabilizer in your front suspension? I had one that jammed and dragged down the Hydroboost pump and led to problems with the other belts.

My 1987 has a serpentine belt for driving the alternator, and I thought this was used up through 1992. Do you have that or a V belt?
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 531 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
My engine has a flat belt on the crank, water pump and alternator. I removed both (yes, 2!) air pumps and the engine AC and was able to run 2 identical V belts from crank to power steering/hydroboost. Much piece of mind. Looks like your rig must have been just before mine with V belts all around. You may be able to run that second V belt like Matt suggested.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
Yes, I can and will run 2 belts on the power steering pump. My engine had a single air pump on it. It is all V-belts.

This engine was replaced about 1992 with only 32k on it. There are a few quirks but that can be said for any motorhome.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400