Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Solar Panel Controller
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Solar Panel Controller
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted
My Breakaway has two solar panels mounted on the roof, the PO never used the panels and said the controller didn't work. The fuse was removed from the controller and the wires going to the battery bank was disconnected. So I thought about whether I should remove the panels or see if I can get them to work. Well the existing SCI mark-III controller was showing solar panels generating around 14 volts so I figured the panels are working.

I got to researching solar panels and controllers I wanted to know if it was worth my time and effort to get these panels working. I found that SCI the makers of the controller has a new version of the controller out it's a Mark PV Controller which has advanced features, better charging control, Digital and LED indicators for monitoring the status of the panels and battery bank. The cost for the new controller is around $120.00 however I was able to find one on eBay band new never used for $60.00. So I bought that one. Installed the controller, added two additional toggle switches so I can isolate the input/output of the controller.

I was more than happy with the performance of the solar panels and controller. I ran my batteries down the night before trying the solar panels. I turned the controller on in the morning and without direct sunlight I was starting to charge my batteries the output was 13.2 volts and slightly less than 1 amp. By midmorning I was outputting 14 volts and 8 amps. My batteries were completely charged by 1:00pm. The panels are fix mounted flat on the Barth roof with mid summer sun. So I don't know what the performance will be later in the year with a lower sun. For now it's impressive free energy also my Barth has a Inverter to run all 120 volt circuits other than the AC units.

Looks like I'll be looking for a nice boondocking location.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Looks like you are ready for Quartzite this winter.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Give a little thought to being able to tilt your panels. Pointing them straight south and tilting them can almost double your output in December at lower latitudes.

(This paragraph can be skipped):............The output of the panel is equal to the cosine of the incident angle. eg, if the sun is at a 45 degree angle to the panel, the output of the panel is .707 of rated output.(approx 70 percent)

Specific example: at Phoenix's latitude, tilting a flat panel to 62° in Dec gains 98% more wattage.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like you are ready for Quartzite this winter.

Now that will have to be on my bucket list. 3 1/2 years before I can retire to be honest i had to google it and the title of the article I read said Woodstock for RV's. Looks like I need to go.

Bill, that is interesting information, I could easily fabricate a bracket to tilt the panels.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post