Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    454 engine heat, air dams
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 engine heat, air dams
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Bill h , if you could send me a tracing of the right side for my 1986 Barth that would be great Smiler . thanks , Bob Tomko 952 turkey hill rd Wampum pa 16157

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Bill I didn't mean to get you another round of this! If you send me the pattern I can forward it to the others, I know you've done this before.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5186 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Doesn't need to be fancy, trace it on a newspaper!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5186 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I've asked Bill to send me a tracing too - Once I get it, I'll attach it as a PDF for our files. Smiler

I don't have a P-32 Chassis so I never needed it... now I feel compelled to get it up on our site for the members to have too. Superman

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
great idea! (who was that masked man? he jumped in, helped us all and vanished into cyberspace. our hero bill ny)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Bill, would it help if I also photographed the pattern on our 3 inch tile counter?

BTW, the pattern is about 16 1/4 X 33 1/2", laid flat.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
A photo on the 3x3 grid would be enough for me. I could scale it from that.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
I presently have the driver side heat shield out of my 1987 in order to better access the spark plugs and wires. Anyone want pictures?
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
A photo on the 3x3 grid would be enough for me. I could scale it from that.

You've Got Mail.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Here are a coupla pictures

I have a photo of the pattern laid out on my kitchen counter tiled with 3" square tiles (set with 1/8" spacers, but it does not come out well on Photobucket. Any supporting member can PM me with E mail address to have a decent jpg image sent.

I will still send Bill NY the poster board pattern this week so he can .pdf it. A .pdf image can be sent to a blueprint company and printed exactly in real size, if that is important to anyone.

In this application, close is probably good enough. I don't think GM did a lot of wind tunnel testing to get this absolutely at its best. Anything is better than what they had. Which was nothing.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:
I presently have the driver side heat shield out of my 1987 in order to better access the spark plugs and wires. Anyone want pictures?
Matt

Maybe a tracing on butcher paper would be handy for the site archives. Who knows, maybe several members are missing theirs. Maybe they don't know, even.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
maybe several members are missing theirs. Maybe they don't know, even.

After cooking and replacing several starters and disassembling my coach I found out about these things,here, and found one attached to the drivers side of the front wheel well area; none on the curb side. Who knows, if I would have found this site a year earlier I might still be driving "the Blue Bus" oh well! .... c'est le Barth!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
If heat is your enemy and you want a better solution than pieces of sheet metal (they are better than nothing) see this site:http://www.atpwrap.com/. They supplied the heat protection for our diesel pushers and they will make them for any application. For a 454 you will spend less than a couple of starters, fuel pumps and overheated intake air to your engine.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Nice site, Tom.

I see they picture an exhaust manifold wrapped in their product. Looks way nicer than the asbestos wrap.

I would love to do that, but Thorley's lifetime guarantee is void if they are wrapped.

As for starters, I suspect most problems are more heat soak than air flow. This is evidenced by the failure occurring after it sits hot for a while, rather than right after shut down.

Do they sell their insulation by the roll or square foot, or what? I would like to try it for starter and oil line shielding. All Chevy owners need to be paranoid about starter heat, and my left bank Thorley is a little too close to my fat -12 oil cooler lines for comfort.

I think the sheet metal we are talking about here is more useful for getting rid of air, particularly directing it over the right rear plug wire and exhaust manifold than actually protecting anything from heat like a heat shield does. With proper air flow, things work pretty well under there.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
The purpose of the blanket is to keep the exhaust heat in the pipes and away from the engine and exterior components. I suspect they will sell their insulation in any configuration however you should not wrap starters and pumps because you do not want to seal in heat, but get it out as quickly as possible. A properly timed and coolant supplied engine will rarely get above the temperature of the coolant. I can run my diesel generator for hours completely sealed and then wrap my hand around on any part (including the outer surface of the blanket) and the 200 degree fan actuation sensor will not come on. I think the soak problem is way over blown and I can't explain why Thorley won't honor a warranty. We have built stainless headers for our Cobras for ten years and recommended the wrap tape to keep the compartment cooler. We have never had a failure. It may have to do with the gauge of steel and the type they use. We use 16ga, not 18 and we TIG weld.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post