Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Reduce 2 chassis batteries to 1
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Reduce 2 chassis batteries to 1
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of beeoh
posted
My cat powered Breakaway came from the factory with 2 8D chassis batteries. The HD mechanic at my work (bus garage)says one of them could be eliminated which would give me more space for additional house golf cart batteries (only have 2 now) Does anyone see a problem with this? We live in the northwest (vancouver island) and have never had any starting issues. Most of our traveling is south to warmer weather in winter where we boondock as much as possible so could use the extra house capacity. thanks

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Your mechanic is right - I see no problem with you starting on one 8D battery provided the temps don't drop below freezing.

Just make sure that it is a very good battery and you are versed in an emergency starting technique that parallels your multiple house batteries with your one chassis battery. Most coaches have an emergency start switch which does this for you with a simple push of a button. ~Y.M.M.V. Wink ~

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
One 8D will start your engine. Or you could go to 2 4Ds.

I'm really surprised that spartan thought the 3116 would need 2 8Ds to start.

A side note is that you could remove one 8D from the chassis and use it for addtional house. Our Newell came from the factory with 6 8Ds as house batteries. I switched over to T105s so I didn't have to deal with the weight issue.

Also when I converted our bus it 2 8Ds. I used them for house batteries for 12 years. Just had a generator battery so I could start the genset if I discharged the 8Ds to far. Worked great. About every 4 years I went to Sam's club and bought 2 new ones for $100 each.

A side note: I got the chance to talk to a battery engineer from Gould National Battery. I asked about using 8Ds as deep cycle batteries and the answer was very simple. "The 8D is the best deep cycle we make."

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post