Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Jacks for the Regal
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Jacks for the Regal
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
My son-in-law is going to put 4 jacks on my '85 28' Regal. He is a certified airframe mechanic, a welder, and has built various rock crawlers, drag cars, so he is eminently qualified. We looked at HWH doing it but the $3000 price tag and the trip to the HWH factory was too much. Not sure what he'll come up with but it will be a mechanical system and we'll operate it from outside the Barth, probably with a drill and a long bar. My question is this: Where are the jacking points on factory installed HWH levelors on an '85 28' Regal? We're guessing that the jacks must be attached to the frame but we're not sure where. If someone has a 28' Regal with jacks, I would sure appreciate it if they could check and give me some pics or measurements so we can locate ours properly. Thanks.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/10
Picture of Reado
posted Hide Post
Not a Barth but an interesting Rv blog.
http://bluetravco.blogspot.ca/...l/stabilizer%20jacks

Posts: 60 | Location: Agassiz, BC Canada | Member Since: 07-19-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Interesting blog on the Travco. Can't tell what they attached the scissor jacks to. One thing we want to avoid is twisting the frame. Reading the post on the Spartan Breakaway frame/house mounts brings that question in play. The P30 frame is like an 'H' and it would seem that the strongest place to attach any kind of jack would be directly underneath the frame.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
It seems those little jacks on the Travco will lift the tires off the ground (with sufficient blocking) to level both the coach and the chassis upon which it sits.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3440494345.html

You can find some used ones.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have leveling jacks on the 33 Regal. The rear mounts are behind the tag axle, under the frame. I think there is an additional angle bracket attached to the frame to make it a bit wider. I use these regularly.

The front jacks are mounted not to the frame but to the frame extension in front of the frame. Worse yet, they are mounted about a foot to the outside of the frame, cantilevered on a cross member. I am convinced that is the reason my front end and bumper are bent up on the right side.

I never use them for fear of aggravating the bent frame extension. I plan to either relocate them (under the frame BEHIND the front wheels.) or just pull them off for spares. I normally use a bottle jack under the frame just behind the tire. I can reach them easily from the side.

Seems that most of the time I can park where the front end is higher, so I just use the rear jacks to level. This also is enough to stabilize the coach when walking around in it.

Dang, you know I like to post pictures.... I'd do it now but we have about a foot of snow... I'll see about it when I get bundled up to shovel or something.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Well you made me do it. Good thing, my memory isn't that good it seems.

The front bumper is bent up on the pass side. A little hard to see in this photo. (Whole picture is tipped, sorry.)

The jacks are attached to a cross member, which is attached to the front frame extension. Front right:

Front left:

Rears are not mounted under the GM frame (so much for my memory) but on the outside of the rear frame extension. Right side:

(The dark line in front looks like a crack! Checked again, it is just a shadow from the adjacent strap. Had me worried for a minute...)

Left side:

Hope this will help! mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Our coaches are similiar....although my jacks mount differently on the front. On the back, my
jacks are mounted sooooo close to the aluminum bottom part of the air-ride that they almost touch it.

THere is a big difference in single and double axle Barths. The double axle Barths sit 8 inches higher because they have an 8 inch piece of channel iron welded to the frame front to back. LOok at the location of the wheelwells. The wheelwells on a single axle are in the middle of the floorline and on double axles, sit below the floorline.

I never have liked the idea of putting a lot of weight on the jacks.....thinking I didn't want to bend the frame or coach. I use them to basically level the coach and not to lift it off the ground....if I need a lot of lift, I block the wheels off the ground first with 2x8's and then just fine tune with the jacks. THat way, the jacks don't carry a lot of weight.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good point! The 8 inch difference changes how things are mounted under there.

I am glad to hear your front jacks are mounted differently, hopefully better than mine. My setup is the worst I've seen on any coach.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Steve, you're the man Thumbs Up!! If I had gone out in the snow and taken those pics, I would be there until the Spring thaw. Thanks and double thanks. Will closely examine my outriggers and post some pics. It looks like Barth wanted these jacks to be further apart than just the frame rails. Makes sense. Also makes sense to not put the whole weight of the coach on them.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
No problem Jim, from one Barth junkie to another I couldn't keep you waiting. Last night it was was 15 degrees, today a balmy 28!
(Underneath Barth, I swear I could hear faintly, "Can we go to Florida now?") Tooling Along

As K&E pointed out, my frame sits higher but at least your son can get a general idea how these were mounted. Maybe some others can show their other arrangements.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3517000494.html

Another set, minus the hoses.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Steve,

As I was looking at your great pictures, it reminded me of the time I replaced the springs on my jacks.

The only way I could stretch the springs on was this: I first stretched out the springs with a coffin-hoist (aka come-a-long). Once they were stretched out, I took wooden clothes pins and put them between each of the springs the entire length of the spring. I then gently released the tension. I then was able to put the springs on the jacks. THen I extended the jacks and the clothes pins popped out....Once I figured it out, it took about 20 minutes per jack to replace the springs. Made a lot of difference in how the jacks worked.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post