Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Texas inspections/Dallas area service recommendations
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Texas inspections/Dallas area service recommendations
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of jausenclaus
posted
We need to get our Barth inspected. Can this be done at a regular inspection site, or do we need to take it to someone who works with RVs? Also, any recommendations on service in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

Thanks,

Suze

Posts: 9 | Location: Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas | Member Since: 11-28-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
The state inspection might involve emissions, VIN verification and weight. If you need to have it weighed, you can get that done at many moving companies for less than ten dollars. The VIN verification depends on your state laws. In Colorado, I can take it to any car dealership and have their service department take care of it. Having the emissions checked is easy unless it is diesel, the only problem there is fewer service centers to do it.

When looking for a service center, you might be surprised at the variation in hourly charges. Here, they range from $80-120 per hour with Camping World being the most expensive. The cheapest place is one of the best but not convenient for me so I have a place for coach service that charges $90 per hour. Check around and ask the locals for input. I'm sure there is someone in here at barthmobile that can answer questions on specific service centers in the Dallas area. Hopefully, you can take it to one place for chassis and coach service, something that can't be done here unless you like the idea of $120 per hour.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Can this be done at a regular inspection site, or do we need to take it to someone who works with RVs?

None of my local inspection stations here (near Austin) will inspect it because 1) they're not sure what to inspect; 2) they don't want to drive it and test the panic-stop braking); 3) the price for an inspection is fixed and it will take too much time to justify the fee. I only drive in Tejas twice yearly, on my moves out/in-state, so I haven't had it inspected in 7 years. There are no emissions regs for the (diesel) coach here, the other 48 (I know, but I'm not driving to Hiaiwaiiii) don't know or care if I have an inspection authorization, and I am a happy scofflaw. Ancira RV has a Dallas-area center and I'd call them and ask about inspections; I don't recommend -either pro or con- Ancira for "service".

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I just took my 1993 Regency to a local large truck center and they were happy to look at the lights, the insurance card, the tires and have me honk the horn and then they put on a new sticker. I live in Houston and these large truck places are used to older, any size rv's. Did not have to pay the $45 dollar emissions check because of the age and the fact it is a diesel.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I thought we had the worst emissions testing in the USA! Here in CA they don't require any testing of diesels, perhaps they might if the vehicle is 2007 or newer because of the latest low sulfur requirements.

I bought my Breakaway out of Colo (2 years ago) and there is no evidence or receipts for emissions testing there.

What do they test diesels for in TX or other states?

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:

What do they test diesels for in TX or other states?

It make them feel good and brings in money.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:

I bought my Breakaway out of Colo (2 years ago) and there is no evidence or receipts for emissions testing there.

In Colorado, it depends on where you live concerning emissions laws. Here in Colorado Springs, they eliminated emissions testing except for diesels. In other parts of the state, excluding the Denver area, they haven't had any testing for quite awhile as far as I know. If you live in the Denver Metro area, emissions testing is a lot more restrictive than it was when we had it here. As long as polution levels remain at a lower level than they were, we will continue with the status quo where I live.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"What do they test diesels for in TX..."

"There are no emissions regs for the (diesel) coach here..."

"I live in Houston and these large truck places are used to older, any size rv's. Did not have to pay the $45 dollar emissions check because of the age and the fact it is a diesel...."

"Texas ain't got no stinkin' Diesel checks."

The last time I received an inspection sticker (year 2000) they looked at the tires, brake lights, headlights; asked if it stopped okay; and gave me a sticker -$12.00. He also told me he couldn't inspect it "next time" because he would have to drive it and do a low-speed "emergency stop" and he didn't want to do that.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post