Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Paint Peeling-What do I use?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Paint Peeling-What do I use?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
The paint at the top roof curve is colored almost the same as the natural aluminum. However, in several places, it is off and I would like to put the paint back on those places so as not to have the aluminum corrode. Do I have to do more than sand out the area and paint? Do I have to use special paint or would I just look for a paint that looks like it might match - a Tremclad aluminum type?

Thanks
Linda

Posts: 75 | Location: Ontario CANADA | Member Since: 09-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it paint that is peeling or is it a clear coat of some type? Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to be an aluminum colored paint - not positive but looks to be...bit of a metallic finish

Posts: 75 | Location: Ontario CANADA | Member Since: 09-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done a lot of paint work on customs and street rods, and I can tell you one problem is where to start painting, and where to end such. I would guess it is going to be very hard to match perfect. Can you see these areas from the ground? The aluminum should not corrode as in rusting so I don't see the concern in that respect. You can take a pop can or something and try a trial paint for color match. If you have a pcs. you can take to an automotive paint store maybe their computer can color match. I bet there isn't anything you can take off the coach to take to the paint store, or have you found a chip you could take. and I would gurss you don't have a chip loose enough to pull? Not an easy issue Linda. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to not be flaking off - it is a round shape like a very large drip or drop - Will see if I can get my hands steady enough to take a decent photo - (took some of my coach but they are not clear enough to post) so I will take some of peeling and coach the same time - when I can get a nice clear photo.
Thanks Dale -

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Linda, There is a good chance that the Sikkens paint color codes are mounted on a label on the frame of your door on your Barth. My door is hinged on the right as you enter and the paint label is on the left about half way up the frame. I am attempting to get some touch up paint mixed at this time. The first dealer I contacted thought he could do it, but later called and said he could not. There is a dealer near who works with Sikkens paint, but I have not been in contact with him as yet. I have also heard that Sikkens is a German paint and for some reason there are currently concerns with their paint in in the US. Word is that they may be pulling out of the US market?????

Your problem doesn't seem to be an issue of corrosion. From the sound of your description, it seems to be weathering and sun damage. My paint is somewhat rougher on the curves area as well, but not peeling. If necessary you might look into just having that area painted. Typically Barths were painted the metallic silver/Grey on the top and bottom areas of the coach and then more uniquely in the center all around.

My coach was kept in Florida for a long time, summer and winter. As a result it was exposed to a fair amount of moisture. This has caused small points of corrosion to build up under the paint. Once corrosion like this starts, it does not stop. I intend to carefully scrape, sand prime and touch up these spots. My paint is actually in excellent condition except for these few corrosion spots. Repainting is not even a consideration. Bill

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My paint color codes are inside the grille, above the radiator.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you know of a body shop you trust? Drive it by them and have them take a look. My point that where to start painting and where to end painting could be answered by them too. Sometimes it is best to start at a seam rather than spot painting say in the middle of a panel, but they can say what is best for color flow. Good luck. Dale

<Larry and Heidi in CA>
posted
92 30' Breakaway owners, where is your paint code? I've searched all over my coach and have yet to find mine.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've also not been able to locate the paint codes on my 1991 30' Breakaway. I've looked on the removable panel on the dash, and on the generator door. I've located useful information at each location.....but no paint codes.
Mike

Posts: 23 | Location: Collinsvile, IL, USA | Member Since: 08-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
The paint codes on my 93 breakaway are on the left door post.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have paint codes for coaches Black, Silver, and Gray should anyone need. 1991 Regency. Dale

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Even if you have the paint codes they won't help you much. I have mine and spent over $100 having paint mixed in a can and also in a spray. Not even close. (well kinda, almost close). If your coach is older than 5 years (which all Barth are) there has been some sun fading) so any paint will have to be matched by a professional.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, you are correct. This is why in one of my posts I said try to take a sample pcs. to a paint computer in an automotive shop. Good paint people do NOTHING else. EPA has relly put the hurt to small Co's and to prices. I am not saying controls are not needed, BUT....

"5+ yrs of active membership"
posted Hide Post
Linda, tell us what year and model your Barth is. There are Barths, like mine, that were primed incorrectly, and peel continuously! We have a 1987 Regal that is beginning to look like a sycamore tree, and were told the whole thing would have to be stripped, primed correctly, and repainted. It would have been a free job if the original ower had taken it in as a "recall," but too late now. Anyone know how to prep the aluminum to hold paint?

Posts: 34 | Location: Michigan, USA | Member Since: 08-10-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post