Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    carpet removal part 2
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

carpet removal part 2
 Login now/Join our community

posted
For what it is worth anyone considering carpet removal I have the following to offer. In our 1991 Barth the carpet was of high grade but not our color. The Bedroom was straight forward, but a ton of stalpes. The main living area we found the carpet had been laid B4 the two side tables, couch, two soft side chairs, drivers, and frt. pass. seats. To remove the large chair bases one must get underneath the coach and hold the nuts while someone turns from above. In ours the bolts going thru the base plates were approx. 4" longer than needed and with rust on such it worked better to cut of the heads and let the bolts fall to the ground. One can use a angle die grinder with a super thin 3" cut off wheel, or one could use an angle grinder to grind off the heads. Sparks are going to fly, but an fire ext. handy and some wet rags one will be ok. Mr. Barth really loved staples. Even in the middle of the floor, and tons of such around the drivers area. The leveling controls had to be removed, but with Barth using square drive screws that is a quick procedure. I guess one could cut the carpet around the seat base plates, but I wanted a cleaner look. By myself it took approx. 6 hours to remove, and pull up the hundreds of staples. I found the floor in very good shape, and held down by large screws. They used a lot of seam filler to seal the joints. They did not use tack strips, but I plan on doing such. It will speed the process, and hold it tight. You could install new carpet in a weekend with some help. It would be a full weekend though. One could use glue in some areas too.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dale, went through the same thing myself. What a nightmire. Lucky for me it had been done once before. They had use tack strips. Although mine is much older 1980. Maybe He wasn't into staples yet.
Bootdude

Posts: 22 | Location: St Pete Fl US | Member Since: 06-20-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post