Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    On Fuel efficiency...
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

On Fuel efficiency...
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
OK I am being a devils advocate here~~

The primary purpose of any engine cooling system is to keep engine metal temperatures under control.
And my 8.2 engine, as I have been severely warned, is a prime example of this action.

But if there was a means to increase the cooling of an engine without increasing the harm to that engine should one explore it further?

The following seems to answer that question:

http://www.evanscooling.com/fuel-efficiency/

Am I wrong?

Daft? Confused?

Tell me the error of my thoughts Smiler

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Doug, I think you are correct with one major caveat, is this company telling the truth? Wetting agents have been around for a long time, but I'm not convinced they provide what they claim.

Did you read the Evans propaganda? It reads like a con to me, replete with misspelled words!

I suppose if it can't do harm, you have nothing to lose. I think the concept of added warnings or shut downs are money better spent.

Something I didn't see mentioned earlier is changing the coolant filter often. I recall my old Cummins had a lubricant inside the filter that was critical to keeping the cooling system healthy. Can't speak for your engine, but the filter (if equipped) is simple insurance.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Or you can simply increase the cooling capacity of the system by installing a parallel, large capacity radiator that has it own fan system (same as a larger condenser in the ac system). You may remember that turning on the heater when an engine is boiling will bring down water temp in the system. You already have the hoses running to the water heater and dash, just add a radiator with a fan and have the fan thermostatically controlled. Just like more oil preserves engines, more coolant keeps the entire system more stable. And you get to buy new tools!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I've been following your topic with great interest....as a future diesel owner I am making notes on all of this......

Do you mind voicing your preference as to which diesel engines? Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Caterpillar,????

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you mind voicing your preference as to which diesel engines? Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Caterpillar,????

This could get interesting hmm . It's a question that will evoke lots of sentiment, a Ford/Chevy thing.

All these companies have made good and not-so-good engines. Just like Ford's Pinto, Chevy's Vega, there are lemons in the history.

My personal favorites are the Cummins 8.3 and the Detroit 60 series (that I own now). I have owned a 5.9 Cummins and it was great, but underpowered. I have also owned a two stroke Detroit, and it is now outdated and hard to service.

One thing I've realized about exceptional engines, they cost more money to buy! Before entering the market, determine your budget and have an honest discussion with yourself about what that can buy. With so many older diesel pushers now available, you must be careful that you don't buy a pig-in-a-poke.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Corey,

Thank you so much...That kind of information is precisely what I want to hear. I'd like each persons opinion..both good and bad on several engines.....this is such a unique website because there is truly a lot of wisdom among members. Wisdom is more EXPERIENCE and that's what I'm trying to glean and find out...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
From a biz standpoint I would like it if you bought an 8.2L Detroit - I would get to make more money from you. Big Grin

Now, if you want to not see me so much - grab an L10 Cummins or an American made 8.3L Cummins.

If you would like to see me every now and then, get a 5.9L - great motor, but IMHO is a tag underpowered in these coaches. I could sell you some bigger injectors and a larger turbo to help - then I would sell you an exhaust temp gauge too. The underpowered aspect is not too difficult to overcome - you just need to use some common sense after the upgrade.

3208 Cats are good little motors too - The turbo is better than the Naturally Aspirated ones.

We have seen a 3176 Cat - Not a big fan of this, but it wouldn't keep me from purchasing one.

3116 Cat - Good motor too.

6-V92 Detroit will give you free undercoating while underway - bring a drip pan with you to place under the motor when parked. Big Grin

A Cummins M11 is a great motor too.

I like my 460 EFI in my Barth - the 454 Chevy is a good motor too.

I'm only talking about engines I've seen in Barth coaches.

Now, would I buy an 8.2L Detroit Powered Barth? Yes I would. I would also install extra items on it to help me keep an eye on things. When you have an engine mounted in the back - it's hard to see what's going on so far from the drivers seat.

How much do you think you could see, smell or hear when the motor is mounted in the back while driving in the rain? Can you stop the coach soon enough? Hopefully...

With helpers (alarms/lights) mounted to an engine you'll be better off in the long run no matter who mfg the engine.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
On ther Gear Vendors site they state that you should drive at 55mph/90kph to achieve maximum fuel efficiency [and use their product].
What else should one do?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Smiley:
What else should one do?
2 things...

1) Insure that your tire psi is at the optimal psi setting. This minimizes rolling resistance.

2) Insert a raw egg under your foot and between your fuel pedal... If you don't break it, you'll achieve maximum efficiency.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Smiley:
On ther Gear Vendors site they state that you should drive at 55mph/90kph to achieve maximum fuel efficiency [and use their product].
What else should one do?

Actually, best fuel economy for most vehicles is around 45 mph (best economy for any vehicle is that point at which drivetrain losses equal the power needed to move the vehicle).

Rule-of-thumb is that best efficiency otherwise is at the engine speed is at the peak of the torque curve. Diesels, however, don't have thumbs, so they are most efficient when running at the lowest RPM (highest gear) without lugging.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Our '85 Regal w/ a 454 plus Gear Vendors, has the lowest fuel cost of anybody on this site. It never goes anywhere Big Grin
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Best way to improve fuel efficiency with a 454 is use a smaller diameter fuel line. I swear that engine will consume all supplied, uphill, downhill, flat, loaded, unloaded etc. Well maintained it will do that to the end of your wallet. ROTFLMAO

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, best fuel economy for most vehicles is around 45 mph

I have found that 45 is not optimal for many modern passenger vehicles. The Chevy Equinox co. car I had last year and my personal MINI have six speed automatic transmissions. They were not yet in (or would not stay in) high gear @ 45 mph. With only 1.6L engine, the MINI will not go into the highest gear, with OD, until 60mph. At that point, the rpms drop to a little more than 2000 rpm, far short of peak torque or where the torque and hp curves intersect -- usually 5200 rpm. The dash computer shows my best mileage in low mph 60's.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey, Mogan, we're talking about 1947 Plymouths here Tooling Along

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I had my '47 Nash Ambassador 600 in mind. Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post