Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Adding air horns - anyone done it?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Adding air horns - anyone done it?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted
I'd like to add a nice set of air horns to my SOB Class A, and wanted to see if anyone here had undertaken that project before. There are lots of cheap $50-80 kits out there (J.C. Whitney and the like) but I don't think any of them will give me the low-tone "blast" I'm wanting. Brand new the real thing from Hadley runs $300-500 and I'd really like to come in under that price tag also. Anyone know of places to get good, used horns? Exterior horn appearance doesn't really matter (pitted chrome for instance) because I plan to mount them hidden in the engine compartment. I'm watching eBay auctions, but I figure there may be RV or semi salvage yards with this sort of thing. Any suggestions on buying/installing are appreciated!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
scottydl,

Try Colaw RV 'salvage. www.colawrvsalvage.com

They would probably have used ones.

Bill G

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Also try truck wreckers. Try for a Grover horn.

A nice air horn that fits behind a grill nicely is a Wolo Bad Boy. http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

I use them on several vehicles. It does not have the stentorian bellow of a pair of Grovers, but sounds more like the original Maserati horns.

$35 at Harbor Freight. Made in Italy. I believe it is the only non-Chinese product they sell.

Anyone who is serious about air horns should come to the Pomona automotive swap meet. It is once every 6 or 8 weeks, I think. There is a guy there with a whole table of horns to try. Bring earplugs. He even had a Nathan there once. You can take your family to Disneyland to legitimize the trip. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely looking for a big rig blast, rather than a high-pitched Ferrari. Wink I'll check out Grover horns too. I wish I were near Pomona!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottydl:
I'm definitely looking for a big rig blast, rather than a high-pitched Ferrari. Wink I'll check out Grover horns too.

OK, check out this site:

http://www.siege-engineering.com/

I have the Hammer 3. Good and loud.

Here is a site with a sound file of some horns.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
I bought mine on Ebay Here:
http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3431087061/m/6331091303
Still have not installed them yet.

Neil.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome! If I could get that kind of price on a brand new set, I'd be pretty happy. What's the tone like on those Hadley's? Is it LOW or just LOUD? I want something lower than the average car horn. Everything else I've seen "big rig" style is over $300 which is more than I can justify on horns. Wink

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/09
Picture of Turbodoc
posted Hide Post
Hadley Products have some great kits.
http://www.hadley-products.com/catalog/Catalog.aspx?cmd=divdtl&div=4

Larry A. Barry DDS
2006 Tiffin Zephyr
NV5I

Posts: 59 | Location: Amarillo, Texas | Member Since: 02-20-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I got my replacement compressor here; they had the best prices.

My horns are the round trumpet version, and have a somewhat higher frequency than semi tractor horns - people have commented that they're as loud or louder than some semis.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottydl:
Awesome! If I could get that kind of price on a brand new set, I'd be pretty happy. What's the tone like on those Hadley's? Is it LOW or just LOUD? I want something lower than the average car horn. Everything else I've seen "big rig" style is over $300 which is more than I can justify on horns. Wink

I have only used them with compressed from my shop compressor. They are very LOUD, the neighbors down the road complained when my son (OK, When I) was playing with them. I did find you can very the tone with the air pressure.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I have airhorns for a tractor trailer truck. These are new, in the box. I only opened the box to take the picture.

Make an offer, and if no one counters, they are yours. The price includes shipping as long as you pay more then the cost to ship these. If you get them for 8 dollars and it costs me 12 dollars to ship, you only owe me 12 dollars total.

They are Bendix 101492.

Just so no one overpays, I called my local parts house and can buy these for $150.00 my cost.

Here is a PDF file that shows them for $182.30

You will need to supply the air, hoses and a switch.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I respectfully offer $50 + shipping (if that applies to your terms). More than $12, but less than $150. Wink

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I neglected to put a cutoff date down. They go out to the winner on Friday, so we'll need to wrap this up by 9pm Eastern on Thursday. Wink

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no idea this thread would turn into such a sporting contest. Let the games begin!!

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
With all this entusiasm, are future Barthmobile rallys going to have an Air Horn Contest?

Loudest?

Most Musical?

Most Train-Like?

Are extra points awarded for having a manual quill?

How about posting front views of your horn-equipped Barths?