Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Winterizing
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Winterizing
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted
One of the steps that the winterizing instructions that came with our coach said that I should open the "floor drains". I have found the fresh water tank drain however I don't see or know where to look for the "floor drains". Does anyone know where I should look for them? Confused

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Our Breakaway has two in the "water" compartment one labeled for hot, the other cold-- they are a quick turn valve (just 90 degrees)-- plastic. When you look under the bottom of the compartment you can see the plastic hoses below the valve, sticking down a few inches.

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Our 85 Regal has more water drains than Carter has liver pills. There are a couple near the two fresh water holding tanks, there's one under the kitchen sink that you don't know is there unless you lift up a little trap door, there's one under the bathroom sink that is hidden away, too. They're everwhere Razzer

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
our breakaway is only a 28' but it has a tank drain very close to the water tank, towards the drivers seat and then there are two drains down on the floor just below the fridge. those will drain out close to the rear axle. I believe they drain the bathroom and kitchen faucets.
ken

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Our 89 Regal had 3 valves. One by the fresh watertank and two under the pantry by the fridge accessed by a trap door. Turn them 90 deg and leave open. Water drains out the coach thru pipes. So you might want to be outside the garage. Put some pink antifreeze in your sinktraps and keep the toilet seal moisturized.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Leave the faucets open

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Winterizing was discussed in great detail a few years ago. My wife, Donna, assures me that it is a VERY SIMPLE task.

Stop at your local fuel stop and fill the tank. Now drive far enough south that it never freezes.

Now I know some of our members from the great White Northlands may not know how far south to travel, so the following is just a suggestion.

Tie your Snow Shovel to the grill area of the coach before leaving home. When someone ask "what's that tied on the front of your coach------------ your just about there.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stop at your local fuel stop and fill the tank. Now drive far enough south that it never freezes.

I would take Donna's advice however I'd have to go without Karen as she is still employed and the only one with a regular paycheck. wack We'll follow Donna's advice next year, Karen will be retired then. Big Grin

As to winterizing, I finished today. I found two floor drains under the vanity in the head. There is a third spigot in the black/grey water drain compartment which is the lowest point on the coach. After reading the "Winterizing" advice in old posts I hooked up my air compressor and blew out all the fixtures including the toilet using no more than 40psi of pressure. As an afterthought I switched on the "Fill" valve switch and blew out the line to the tanks from the valve. I then added RV antifreeze to all the drains and toilet. The whole thing took about an hour. I'm ready for what ever the winter brings which has been rain for much of the last three weeks. Frowner
Thanks to all who offered advice.

Cheers,

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I winterized my coach today - hung a sweater in its closet. Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Be sure to winterize yourself too, Rusty (with plenty of toxic (90 proof) antifreeze cheers

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I keep that training up year-round. Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Hi,
For the benefit of others..... The floor drains are important drains to be sure to open. There are some in the bathroom, under the kitchen sink, and near the hot water heater in my rig.

I have done this the past 6 years. Right now as I am swapping over the tank within the Atwood water heater, I see that there is also a drain plug that is accessed from the outside of the rig. For reasons unknown to me (and those reasons might include my error) the water did not drain from the tank, and the aluminum tank has a 6 inch split in it.

So be sure to check if your water heater has a drain plug, and pull it out in the fall. I had never done that before. I will never fail to do it again!

happy motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I've always removed the anode from the Suburban

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Davis
posted Hide Post
The first winter I owned the Barth, I opened all of the drains, and blew air through the lines, but in the spring I had a split water pipe under the shower. Last year I drained everything, or so I thought. When I filled the water tank this spring I had a cracked water filter between the tank and the pump.. The fill valve on the back of the commode was cracked also and water was pouring out of that.. Looks like a small leak under the water heater or could be coming from the refrigerator. This year, the fill valve is going to be disconnected, the filter for the pump is coming out after I blow air through the lines. Every year is a new plumbing experience.

Posts: 46 | Location: Sanford,NC | Member Since: 10-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Every year is a new plumbing experience.

because water remains where the amount of air volume you have does not blow it out.
Pink RV antifreeze is not very expensive. The problem I had with the Breakaway, and must take steps to avoid in my FT, is retained water freezing in water filter(s).
Filter, particularly large canister under kitchen sink, must be removed and drained. The water heater should be drained and bypassed. Then let your RV water pump push antifreeze until you can see that it comes through all faucets, toilet and fills drain traps.
I learned, the hard way, that the FloJet pump in my FT does not drain itself. I got lucky in that regard. When the water trapped in it froze, only the pressure switch housing (attached to the back) broke. did not need to replace entire expensive 4.5gpm pump.