Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Parking brake
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Parking brake
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My air parking brake is not holding. Does anyone know what could be the issue? Is there a way to adjust the brake?

Jeff Larsen
1984 35' MCC Regency

Posts: 37 | Location: Salem, Oregon, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Try this link for some reading. Plenty of pics and if you want to call me for a walk thru that's ok too.

Click here...

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Thank you for the link and info,I will share the information with my repaire man. My parking brake will not hold the coach if I put it in gear and give it gas(with the brake on) or am on a slope. I have not found an issue with the stopping the coach when driving. The back brakes have been upgraded as the original brakes are not great.

Posts: 37 | Location: Salem, Oregon, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jefflarsen:
...I will share the information with my repair man.
He should know this already. Eeker

If the brakes are adjusted properly then there are several other issues to consider.
1) Your rear brake shoes are glazed. They have overheated.
2) The main spring inside the maxi-chamber is broken or weak - replace the maxi chambers.
3) You have a wheel seal leak. Grease is getting on the brake shoes causing the shoes not to grab/hold.
4) All of the air doesn't vent when you pull your parking brake button.
5) You have a slight service side application causing you to "think" that the brakes are in adjustment.

While this gives the quick points, the totality of the system needs to be looked at. Are your brakes shoes thick enough? Is the “S-Cam” bushing sticking? Any airlines kinked? Have you checked the volume of air and routing? Are there any reducers or elbows in the system that would affect balancing? Etc...

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post