Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    weather Pro Awning
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

weather Pro Awning
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted
In Montana the Awning would not come out, no power. Took it to a shop and they said a bad 12 volt motor, the motor was open. They did not have the motor and it would take a week to get it. Off I go as I figure I will order a motor and have in installed down the road. I CAN'T open the awning, no way to open a power awning without taking it apart needing two guys. The model number is on the tube which needs to be extended to see (everybody now copy that number down right now).

Next stop a Weather Pro Authorized shop, they look at it and find out it is the circuit board related to the wind sensor. They give me the part number the got from Dometic.

I call camping world in Salt Lake, they say bad part number, call Dometic and get the "replacement part kit" that would include the new style wind sensor and wiring harness.

Then call Camping World in Las Vegas, who then transfers my case to Camping World in Henderson. OK not far apart. They talk to Dometic and decide to order a new computer "box" and not replace all the wiring as it would be cheaper.

I get there and they say "You want us to install this thing as that is what you TOLD US YOU WANTED TO DO..... but if it does not work, we will run a diagnostic to see why. Funny!

So off for breakfast, 30 min later a call, new box does not work....Want us to check, yep....

Head back and they got it fixed.......

It was a LOOSE GROUND WIRE....

I could have them take out the box and put the old one back in but the cost for this and that at $100 a pop was the same. So $460 for a loose ground wire and three guys did not find it.

So I have a good used computer box for a weather pro that I can sell cheap.....

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
That's a painful lesson that I must admit I have had to relearn several times through the years....
What's the FIRST thing you check on any 12v dc device that is not working? THE GROUND!

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem&Pat
posted Hide Post
Thank you for a good laugh this morning. I have done the same rather than looking for the simple fix.

Posts: 16 | Location: Pittsboro, N.C. | Member Since: 03-24-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Too late for you Tom, but if I were in that predicament I would have done my own initial diagnosis starting at the simplest point in the system, the motor. Those motors are usually a two wire setup, reverse the ground and power lines to go in or out (clockwise/counterclockwise in motor language). I would have taken my handy little jumper box for an easy 12V supply and given it a go. If the motor worked, which it would have according to your outcome, I probably would have just eliminated the fancy, dancy wind sensors and circuit boards in favor of a two way toggle.

Your story reaffirms that it is usually less effort to do your own initial diagnosis on simple systems than to chase around for a true expert. The RV industry is fraught with "technicians" that have less than a GED. Even if they are highly educated/trained, how likely will they be an expert in so many unique systems and brands?

The internet can usually make me a semi-expert just by investing a few hours on a specific area or problem. I was very proud when I self diagnosed my Aqua Hot coil as bad. Granted it took me a good 20 hours of diagnostics (not all in one squatting of course). But there is a good chance it would have taken a so called RV Tech just as long at $80/hr. That's $1600 in my pocket and a full and complete knowledge of that system and how it ticks. The second part is priceless knowledge if you're stuck without heat on a freezing night (I'm over-stressing this for emphasis as the Wanderlodge has electric backup, but you get the picture.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Any Aqua-Hot certified technician, such as myself, that cannot fully diagnose any Aqua-Hot issue in an hour or less is ripping you off and really should find something else to do for a living. BTW, I charge $129/hr so there is no time to goof around.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.