Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Diesel Swaps
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Diesel Swaps
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Greetings,
I'm happy so far with the 454 (50,000 mi, uses no oil) in my '87 34 footer and it seems to be running just fine. However, I never can leave anything alone for long and I was wondering if and when the time comes to replace it, would a 6.5ltr. Turbo Diesel be a step up or just added expense with not a lot of gain? I'm under the impression it's a simple swap. Any experences or opinions out there?
Thanks, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
It looks like the 6.5 liter is going to be phased out with the advent of the Duramax. The literature that I've read has not been very good for the 6.5 anyway. If I were to do a swap I'd check all the clearances and try the latest 5.9 High Output Cummins out of a late model Dodge truck. It puts out over 300 hp and 500 ft.lbs. of torque. I've seen motors out of wrecked low mileage trucks going for around $4500 with computer.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post