Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Check out this tow bar from Brad Weldon
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Check out this tow bar from Brad Weldon
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
This is an email I received from Brad Weldon. Sounds like a cool invention

Dave,

Here is something new for you to look at. This is a hydraulic tow bar that my father invented back in the 80’s. This unit resolved the problems of having the front wheels of your toad turn the opposite way while making a sharp turn through a dip as in a lot gas stations etc. as well as being able to lift the front wheels and have a 2 wheel trailer for backing up. The toad was pulled with all 4 tires on the ground while only raising the front for backing up and sharp corners at low speed. Another cool benefit for long trips down to Arizona is there is usually a fare amount of extra wear on the front radials tires so a set of bias ply (they seem to track better) would be used for the long haul and once at your destination you simply raised the front and changed back to the radials. When not in use the tow bar simply swings to the side on an extra 2” tube and stores out of the way.

Dad unfortunately passed away just as the new production model was coming out. No one else had the passion the see it through and that was the end of it. I now have the only one left, although I don’t have a toad right now.

I am hoping you can post this on Barthmobile for me. You never know maybe someone will recognize it as it made many trips around the southwest.

Regards
Brad Weldon
Weldon Industries Inc.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave

------------------
Brad
1977 29' CLASS EH!

Posts: 27 | Location: Langley. BC | Member Since: 09-28-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is truly kewl!

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any possibility of someone building and marketing this tow bar/dolly. Looks like a good solution for me and a lots of others around the country.

Posts: 16 | Location: Durant, Ms, USA | Member Since: 06-02-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"...Looks like a good solution for me and a lots of others around the country."

Perhaps. My cynical side asks: with the weight of a Front-wheel-drive car (photo) cantilevered 3' behind the overhang on a chassis, will the chassis bend/break? The hitch pull off the bolts/break the weld? Or, most likely, lift the front wheels of the coach?
Bad engineering, IMHO - probably the primary reason it died.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Mr. Weldon doesn't suggest towing with the wheels up .You might not lift the coach front end, but you'd certainly lighten it enough to make the steering chancy. The strength of hitch welds is a valid concern.

The tracking problems this gadget would solve are real. I had them with a Chevette, but not with my Suzuki. Perhaps it's not the car, but exprerience that has kept me out of trouble with the Suzuki.

I suspect this tow bar died from cost and overcomplication. Most people cope with the problems it solves without its complication.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been waiting for someone to ask these questions. First, no I don't have any plans to make any more. That way I have a one off collectors item. Second, yes there are very real installation concerns. The hitch on the coach does need to be extra strong. The real challenge is the hitch on the front of the toad. It has to be able to take the weight of the front of the the vehicle. This is not something you can have installed at any hitch shop (one of it's biggest downfalls). Remember all of these loads are only at 2-3 mph for a very short distance. While traveling, it is no different than towing any other toad. ONLY COOLER!!! The only future plans I have for this unit are (time permitting) to strip it down and have it chromed or maybe just re-make the whole thing out of mirror finish stainless steel (even cooler). One benefit is I have a great hydraulic power unit in the generator compartment. Maybe I'll add hydraulic levelers and a compact all aluminum wood splitter??? All I need now is a cool old school toad. I don't think my 65 F100 would make a great tow vehicle.
You have to know that this unit is the brainchild of a retired Jack of all trades that just loved to tinker with his Barth.

By the way, the unit I have is the second generation unit pictured at a trade show in Vegas. The units in the towing pictures are of the prototype unit.
------------------
Brad
1977 29' CLASS EH!

[This message has been edited by FUNKYWAY (edited January 24, 2006).]

Posts: 27 | Location: Langley. BC | Member Since: 09-28-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post