Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Adhesive...
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Adhesive...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted
OK, here's my first of many newby questions to come in Tech Talk. We recently purchased a 1990 (1989?) 28' Barth Regal.

On the drive back home, one of the kitchen fan rubber mounts came loose (among a few other things, but those are for other posts). I expected there to be a bolt or screw going through the whole thing into the housing, but it's glued!

Does anyone know what type of adhesive to use to fix it? My wife is embarrassed that I'm posting such a question, but with my luck I'd try something that eats the rubber or just won't work.

Here's a pic, albeit a little blurry:

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Shoe Goo. Let dry for 3 days.

These things need to be perfectly aligned to avoid constant stress. They also get old and hard. Drilling a few holes will make it more flexible and less likely to strain the glue joint.

Here's another idea:

http://www.zoro.com/i/G3394937...ilFBkb0ZUaAn3H8P8HAQ

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forums! I use E-6000 glue, available in the craft section at Walmart.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
3M 5200 unless you think you might want it removed in some future date, then use 4200. 5200 can be released with a special solvent but I don't think it gets very easily cleaned. Both generally found in boat oriented stores.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
3M 5200 is rated at 700 psi, while Shoe Goo is 3800 and E-6000 is 3500 psi. Last two made by the same company.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Kool-o-matic fan.

Not made anymore.

Switches and motors like to wear out at this service age.

Also a huge amp drawer, but does move a ton of air.

Good thing it is mounted in a 14" scuttle and can be replaced with any fan or A/C...

Posts: 33 | Location: midwest | Member Since: 05-05-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! Bought some Shoe Goo, cleaned up the old isolator (quarter-sized layer of old adhesive) and mounting platform, applied and let it set up for three days. Just re-installed the fan. Seems to be holding well. Couldn't quite figure out how to perfectly align things, as there wasn't any give anywhere for adjustment that I could find.

It's a surprising design, unless my fan has been modified from original. The entire weight of the fan is held by three glued rubber isolators.

Quinn

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quinn:
The entire weight of the fan is held by three glued rubber isolators.

Quinn

Older Cessnas had the entire instrument panels hanging from just a few smaller ones. It was my practice to rotate them 180 degrees once a year.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Bill, rotating seems like a good idea, since they were all sagging a bit.

Morgan, the double-ended isolators are also a good idea, but then I'd have to learn how to cut threads (in a confined space). I just wanted to get one fix under my belt...maybe the next time one falls off.

Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
This fan is annoying me. I had the coach storage for a couple months, and when I brought it out I noticed the fan wasn't working because another isolator had come loose. The same one I glued to the housing before, but this time on the support bracket side. Checking them out further, another was half off the housing.

Trying to decide:
1. Re-glue them all
2. Replace fan because it's old, a power suck, and likely to drive me crazy.
3. Replace all the isolators with the double-sided threaded type that bill h suggested above. Will take me hours and likely before I get everything angled right I'll have to drill 1,000 holes.

Opinions?

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Picture of dr. bart
posted Hide Post
Drill 250 bigger holes and use a fender washer... Actually if you can cut slots for adjustment ... Or just drill a bigger hole with fender washers... Just not 250 holes..

Posts: 108 | Location: harrisonburg va | Member Since: 06-14-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
dr. bart, the thing is, if the new isolators have male threads on both ends, the holes will have to be threaded, right? No room for error.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Any other suggestions? Should I do more barthmobile searching?

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

posted Hide Post
This fan is no longer made.

It is a heavy duty fan and can move a lot of air.

Unfortunately, the motor is rather large and pulls several amps (I can't remember, but I think it's between 6 and 8 amps on the high setting).

This is a huge draw on your electrical system.

I have this same fan.

The following has failed:

4-way Switch
Motor
Isolators

...The Kool-O-Matic is more of a Prob-Lem-Atic...

I plan to replace mine and not spend one more dime or minute of my time attempting to rebuild this dinosaur.

It is also a place for bugs to gain access to your vehicle...

Posts: 33 | Location: midwest | Member Since: 05-05-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post