Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    diesel additive??
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

diesel additive??
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Increase mileage 3 - 5 % ??

http://www.freel2.com/forum/to...8.html?highlight=oil

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2593 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
This is exactly what I do, I use 2 stroke oil with diesel fill up and use about the same ratio as was talked about! 200:1

I have noticed a slight improvement in mileage although it is hard to say by how much. I did not notice a decrease in noise but the engines they are talking about are not heavy truck engines.

2 stroke has a higher BTU rating then diesel so it make sense that a slight increase in mileage would occur. Further, as 2 stroke oil is designed to be "burned" in the combustion chamber, it will not leave residue that other oils such as ATF will.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted Hide Post
how does that figure out per gallon I have a Super Duty Ford I would like to try it on, it holds about 35 gallons. and coming from the marine industry do you use a TCW 3 rated oil? That was what was required on Johnson /Evinrude engines in the late 90's and early 2000's i haven't kept up much since then,

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 298 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if this is relevant to use with diesel… but I use a synthetic 2 stroke oil in my chainsaw that is made for motocross racing, Motul (Brand) Off Road 800 Factory Line ester 2T. I get it from my local motorcycle shop. I can’t tell you how it will work with your diesel engine, but it makes a chainsaw rock and roll!

Have Fun,
Wm.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Here's the math (correct me if I'm wrong). 35 gallons = 140 quarts, using a ratio of 200:1, 140 divided by 200 = .7 quarts of 2 stroke oil, .7 quarts = 22.4 ounces per tankful or 5.6 ounces per quarter tank

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
USLD is supposed to contain some lube additives. I add 16 oz./~30 gal. of 2-cycle oil; this is the same ratio specified by the Stanadyne additive, which has lower viscosity.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
running 80% waste dino oil! hydralic ,transmission ,motor oil thur 91 ford f350 , tractor , coach and, generator .. here's a link http://www.oilburners.net/forums/index.php dewatered and filtered to 10 microns

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
10 microns isn't fine enough. Keep in mind that waste oil has contaminants one doesn't want in IPs or combustion chambers.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
So the 2 cycle oil replaces the cethane boost stuff sold by NAPA?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
NAPA sells two types of additive, one with lube, one without.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rusty,

Is there any advantage to the one without lube? Why do they offer both?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
I am using Walmart brand 2 stroke oil .5oz per gallon. $10.00 per gallon
I just noticed a new lube additive at O'Reillys and read the label, it requires .5 oz per 5 gallons. About $16.00 per half gallon, math works out to research this additive.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
quote:

Rusty,

Is there any advantage to the one without lube? Why do they offer both?

Both have a pour point suppressant (read: Anti-gel); if that's all that's needed, it's a bit cheaper. Both also have some other additives.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty.

I'm not sure if it's because we are in the Tampa area where there are a lot of large boats, but I've seen ads lately for fuel polishing by the gallon. I didn't realize this could be done as a "service".

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have yet to figure out what "fuel polishing" really is.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke