Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Wires & Cables
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wires & Cables
 Login now/Join our community

The Old Man and No Barth
posted
The deeper I get intio my "new" '90 Regal, the more I see it's been "rode hard & put away wet." Lots of misuse, disuse & neglect.

I have to install a new speedo cable. All the wiring & the cable go through the forward bulkhead in a big blob of black goo that was used to seal the opening. The stuff is still pliable, but stiff, and it clings to your fingers, or tools.

Also, measurements from inside and outside suggest this bulkhead is double, with an inaccessible space between.

Any suggestions/advice?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
olroy,
I just repaired my heater control cable and had to rerun it through the hole in the bulkhead. I pulled the putty away from the front of the bulkhead and was able to work the cable through. It also was double walled. It took quite awhile working around all the wires under the dash. I had just about given up when it went through.

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just eplaced our heater cable, also. After two day of trying to thread the new cable through the black goo we went to Ace Hardware. An employee handed a tool that looked like a screw driver with a small hook on the end. We pushed that through the goo, hooked the cable and pulled it in back through. We just wished we had gone to Ace sooner .

------------------
Jim & Anne Dorough
93 Barth Breakaway

Posts: 35 | Location: Livingston, TX, USA | Member Since: 02-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim, is that a tool that is used to plug a tubless tire? Thanks. Dale

------------------

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
When I have a particularly difficult wire to push through, I select a piece of metal tubing that will just fit over the wire and stick it through. Then I use super glue or crimp the tube over the end of the wire and pull it through. Sometimes just keeping pressure on the wire will be enough, and you will not have to glue or crimp it. Hobby stores sell the K&S line of brass tubing in all sizes, and many hardware stores also carry it.

Electricians use a thingy called a wire puller that is a metal Chinese finger trap on the end of a stiff cable.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim, I received the picture of the tool, and it is what I thought. It is a tool used to push rubber rope thru a hole in a damaged tire in order to repair. You loop a piece of the rubber rope thru the open part of the tool, with approx. 1-1/2" hanging from both sides of the tool. You then push into the hole, but not so far as to lose sight of the rope, then pull the tool back out leaving half the rope inside and the other half out. Last thing you do is cut off with razor blade or knife at the tread heigth, and you are done. First though you swab the hole with a special liquid so as to make the rope stick. I guess I should have had Bill h. explain, cause mine might not be clear. I can see now how this tool would work fine for pushing a wire thru a hole. Thanks. Dale

------------------

[This message has been edited by DALE SMITH (edited February 18, 2004).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dale, I was having trouble pulling a heater control cable through the firewall..After two days of saying bad words went to Ace Hardware looking for something that would pull that cable through the gook between the firewall...Told a sale person what the problem was and he just handed me that tool..Took just a couple seconds to push the tool in grab the cable and pull it out...Did not know what that thing was for, just that it worked....The saleman said the tool was for leather work....

------------------
Jim & Anne Dorough
93 Barth Breakaway

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited February 18, 2004).]

Posts: 35 | Location: Livingston, TX, USA | Member Since: 02-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey I've seen one of those. When I was a kid my mom used one to make my blanky. I loved my blanky...don't laugh

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited February 18, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To tell you the truth, I sent him after a crochet hook , but you know guys, he went to the hardware store instead .

Anne & Jim

[This message has been edited by doroughal (edited February 19, 2004).]

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The little tool woulda' been great when I installed the wiring for my toad brakes. As it was, I drilled a new hole in the front, left corner of the engine box and drew them througn that.

For the speedo cable? No soap. it's about 5/16" in diameter, with a swaged-on end fitting that's about 5/8". I opted to refurbish the lower fitting on the original housing, and use a universal speedo cable repair kit in it.

Speedo was bad too. Unavailable through local aftermarket parts house. Dealer woud order one for $235.00!!! Opted for a mail order to Issco in Portland, OR. $103.00 plus shipping. J.C. Whitney also has one for about $60.00. but back-ordered until mid-March. I needed it now.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Olroy, GPS, aka boy toy, gives you a new toy, a speedo, resetable trip odometer and no wires to run. Not to mention a new toy if you don't already have one.
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post