Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    8.2 Detroit Repair or Replace Urgent!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

8.2 Detroit Repair or Replace Urgent!
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I am having problems with my engine. The cylinder heads need to be rebuilt. Should I repair this engine or replace it? I have a quote to repair the heads and also to repower with a rebuilt 300hp 3208 Cat; both seem astronomical. What should something like this cost? Any comments, advice, or opinions will be greatly appreciated as I need to make a decision quickly.
Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 23 | Location: clinton, MI, lenawee | Member Since: 01-02-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Hi steve,
sorry to here of your problems with the 8.2
if i remember right your coach is similar to ours. not knowing the cost differences makes it tougher to answer. as we both know a little more horsepower wouldn't hurt a thing in the 35 footer. i ask les hougland one time about upgrading to a 230hp 8.2 and i beleive he quoted around $20,000. like to gave me a heart attack. there is a brand new in the crate 8.2 230hp i think in fmca mag. for 11,000 or so. he may not have been that far off. i like the idea of the 300 horse. would a cummins fit? i know of at least one 3208 in a 35' regency. illinois i think. was on e-bay a while back but i don't think it sold. so at least that must be possible. if you have to spend about the same money i'd be getting more hp for my money but i'm not totally sold on the 3208 either.

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That 3208 in Peoria had an engine swap, and I looked at same in length. It was for the most part a bolt in deal. His was a 3-ring engine which he claimed was rare. Our son-in-law and his family are in the Cat business, and they say the 3208 is a good engine except it was not upgraded to higher standards for EPA not that they were demanding such, and too it has dry sleeves so they can't be replaced. Our 3208 300H.P. has 135,000 on it and has performed very well. They have told me 500,000 should not be a problem. I thought I had read on this site where such can be had for 7-8 thousand dollars. I have not asked them if this is correct though.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike & Dale, thank you for your replies. My coach is an '83-35' with a 230 engine. I have spoken with two DDC authorized dealers. One refused to work on the engine and suggested I put in a Cummins; the other said they do not want to work on it but would if I pressed the issue. The 3208 I am considering would be a three ring +.030" motor with a roller cam. Mike, what are your reservations about the 3208? The added power would be a benefit, but I am more concerned about reliability and service. Being an old hot rodder, I know that anything will fit anything. Which Cummins are you thinking of and why? Putting in the Cat would be a little less than three times the cost of rebuilding the heads on the 8.2.
Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 23 | Location: clinton, MI, lenawee | Member Since: 01-02-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember reading somewhere or hearing from someone that the cummins was almost twice the price of a caterpillar motor. I seem to remember hearing the caterpillar crate motor was 7-11k versus 15kish for the cummins...

Doing a quick search on google I did find this site selling rebuilt diesel motors...

http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.com/Inventory.asp?Cat=Rebuild

the 3208T Dale has in his barth is listed at $6250.00(rebuilt)..

here is another site I found.. not sure on the model of the cummins motors...
http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/Index.cfm?fuseaction=home.home

Hope some of this helps...

Posts: 10 | Location: Indianapolis, IN,US | Member Since: 07-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would steer away from a CAT and talk to a CUMMINS dealer , that strickly focuses on CUMMINS . The CAT 3208 has been around for ever but when it needs repairs the parts only come from CAT . Also the 3208 is a throw away motor, so for longivety CUMMINS is the answer. Cummins has a division that is detcated to designing Repower applications

Posts: 12 | Location: Queen Creek Az. | Member Since: 09-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This member is interested in keeping cost in line with the resale value of his unit. It is not a Cummins versa Cat issue, both stand behind their products and one should know up front who they are dealing with such as the dealer before they commit. I would question paying double for one over the other no matter which was the most expensive. I am the least bit worried about our 3208T. It has been serviced by a respected Dealer from day one, and in my life time I doubt it will need to be replaced. I was born and raised in a dealership and have heard the Ford versus Chevy argument to the point it makes one laugh. I bet once he finds the price range he is looking to spend he will also find a product that will give him service. He like the most of us isn't going to drive 500,000 miles in his Barth. I wish him well for sure. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, sorry about your 8.2 troubles... I have just bought a Regency with one, and am fixing minor leaks and replacing seals, water pump, etc. I hope mine goes for a long time yet... however, I have done quite a bit of research, looking at replacements, CAT swaps, etc. the Detroit guys I have spoken with have said this: the engine went through a series of "upgrades" (read: bug fixes) that had to do with head and cooling issues. The early CAT3208's had similar problems. The 8.2, once you put in the upgraded hard bolts/head fix and the improved flow water pump turned out to be pretty reliable. the word on it is that they just couldn't get it to meet 21st. century emissions, like the 3208. If one does NOT have the head fix, the word is simply NEVER let it get hot.

Try JASPER engines, as they make a good rebuilt product, I believe a complete one can be had for well under 10k. It was recommended to me by a Detroit Service manager... He said: "we'd be glad to sell you a factory re-built, but you can save about 50% with a Jasper"

http://www.jasperengines.com

good luck

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a Jasper engine in my Shasta before I gave it to my son about a year ago. The engine was bought with a three year warranty. The engine lasted about 3000 miles. Jasper told him that it should not have been a three year warranty; it should only have been a one year warranty. Therefore, they will not cover it and he is faced with a $4000 bill. Good company to deal with those Jasper folks. They are not engine rebuilders; they rebuild engines. There is a big difference between the two. You get what you pay for. I did not plan to get off topic, but I feel this needed to be said.

posted Hide Post
Wow! That's certainly a first hand testimonial. I've never bought a Jasper product, but have heard good things. I guess the jury's out on that one... are there any more Jasper experiences out there?

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoud add that the Detroit service manager told me "don't try to fix one, put in a re-built" The labor hours are high, and the cost of the re-built unit is not much higher than the cost of labor to have a local shop do the head/head bolt fix. He's also the one who told me that he's known of pretty decent results with the Jasper engines... I guess it's a crap-shoot...

posted Hide Post
I should have stated that the 8.2 is a DDC reman engine (out of warranty) with about 35000 miles. So much for factory quality.

posted Hide Post
My 2 cents:

Check www.ronthebusnut.com

Skip the introduction, and look to the left side of the screen, and select 'engine systems'.

He has a factory new, on the crate 6v92 for $7,950. It is 400hp.

The problem with the older technology of the V engines is that they are not as fuel efficient. He has a couple of cummins 8.3 listed also. The electronic version is a bargain. In line 6's have fewer moving parts, so tend to be more reliable. Your trans might not be able to handle the 6V92, but it would really make your rig climb hills.

Check out his website, he has some interesting parts available at decent prices. He is located in Oregon I think, but can ship anywhere.

Good luck

Tom

Posts: 57 | Location: Washington DC | Member Since: 03-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ron the bus nut is in spencer, iowa. another is vanderhaags.com also in iowa. both have several engines listed that might work.
Dale as for the 3208, what marty said, plus i have heard poorer fuel mileage and i have an old friend who is in construction and hates them, excessive oil use... (he's a detroit man) I have no first hand experience and in hindsight should not have voiced my opionion me thinks! i have read much about the cummins 8.3 on the rv boards and most seem to be positive. AGAIN i have no 1st hand knowledge and don't even know if one would fit the 35' regency. i would be interested to know what engine upgrades will easily fit the 35 footers though. anyone know?

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank everyone that replied to my post. The comments were very poignant. I have decided to put in the 3208T Cat engine. I chose the Cat because it is more a medium/heavy duty engine whereas the Detroit is a light/medium duty engine. Those are not mine, but Cat and DDC's classifications. If I went to a newer (i.e. electronically controlled) engine, then I would have had to replace the transmission, rewire the coach and rework the engine bay. The dimensions, power curve and weight of the Cat are very close to those of the 8.2 Detroit. The engine is basically a bolt in swap and gearing will not have to be changed. I would like to address some of the comments that were made. What is meant by 'throw away' is that it MAY be more economically feasible to use a reman engine than to rebuild what you have. Therefore, if the Cat is a 'throw away engine', then almost all other engines should be considered that too. True, the Cat has dry sleeves, but it can be overbored and liners installed. The 8.2 can be a good engine if it assembled and maintained by someone that knows what they are doing. It does not like to run hot and the upgrades that Duteman mentions are worthwhile. The only thing I can say about the Cat/Cummins debate is why not add DDC and Mercedes to the mix and make it real interesting. Since I am going with the Cat, the 8.2 Detroit engine (less compressor and alternator) is for sale. Please contact me direct if interested.
Thanks,
Steve