Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Black Water Input Tube
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Black Water Input Tube
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted
While replacing two tubes that I use to store my sewer line under the belly of the Barth I noticed that one of the 4 rods holding up the blackwater tank had pulled out of the floor above and determined that I needed to remove the toilet and the box it sits on to access the floor.

I got out the toilet but am having difficulty figuring out how to remove the flange on top of the box without destroying the flange, downtube or black water tank. Below are pictures of the setup. I have tried loosening the top flange by striking it with a hammer and dowel but it doesn't budge which leads me to believe that it may be glued together. Any suggestions for removing the flange will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Carl, you are probably right in that it is all glued together. I have always had the best luck in cutting the pipe and then use a splicer when putting the flange and stub back on.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Carl, Been there, done that, but my drain went directly into the tank through a flexible plastic, or rubber sleeve, & I just pulled the whole thing straight up through the floor, then replaced the plywood deck. If your drain pipe is not a straight shot into the tank, it's not likely my solution is valid for you.

Before you start cutting, try rotating your drain back & forth while you pull up on it, & you may find it will come right out.

It was hard to feed the drain pipe back into the tank, and when I was done, the top of the tank was slightly depressed, but it worked.

Good luck!!!

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerald:
Carl, you are probably right in that it is all glued together. I have always had the best luck in cutting the pipe and then use a splicer when putting the flange and stub back on.
Thumbs Up

That's "schedule 40 pipe". I think I would just cut it in half and glue a coupler back into place too.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
There is a threaded fit between the flange and the downtube. Try using some very large slip joint pliers, and then you'll know for sure if you have a glued fit as well.
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help guys. Our RV shop in town, who has worked on Barths before, said that it is most likely glued and to cut it and sleeve it but I am going to get two large sets of pliers and "gently" try to twist off the top. failing that I will just cut it.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's really comforting to know that others have dealt with this same issue. I will let you know how it goes.

Carl

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
That ABS pipe is just a slip fit into the tank, it is not glued! No need to cut it. Just try to rotate it a bit while pulling up and it will slide upwards, will take a bit of force but it will come.

When finished do not loosen the clamp around the rubber joint to the tank, just apply lots of RTV around the ABS pipe and into the coupling on the tank and it will slip right back in and seal well.

I just did this and it was easy, I did replace the piece of ABS pipe because the flange was distorted because of how it was assembled and the hole thru the floor was not proper and only a part of the flange was screwed to the floor, I replaced the flooring as well. I shortened the ABS tube because it (again as came from the factory) was way to far into the tank and while flushing would bubble back after the tank was only half full! Still have to address the vent pipe as it is also to far into the tank.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
MWrench's problem & solution were identical to what I described in my post at 1235 this AM, but I had to replace my plywood deck; it was rotted from a long-standing leak in the flange, & I didn't have enough sense to lubricate the pipe with RTV before I re-installed it in the tank. My vent, too, was too long as manufactured, but I didn't reduce its length.

If yours is like MWrench's & mine, you shouldn't have to do any cutting unless you want to replace the flange.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post