Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Oil Leak
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Oil Leak
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a 2K mile trip pulling a toad and this oil leak problem has worsened somewhat. There was some oily spray (but mostly exhoust smoke)on the toad but none on the back of the RV and the oil may be down 2 qts. But now there is much more signs of leaking in the engine bay. It's very wet on the tranny and even on the muffler but all the signs point to oil, not tranny fluid. I wonder if the rubber breather tube could be spinning around and spraying oil on the muffler????

Like everyone said, "oil is cheap" but it sure makes a mess.

I'm still invertigating. I also wonder about the type of oil. I used a regular auto 10W40 on the last change and wonder if it would do better on a diesel grade oil???

It's probably just the rear seal and one of days I just have to pucker up spend some money.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually, my quote is, "Oil's cheaper than metal."

IN NO CASE should you be using gaso engine oil in your diesel. You've now condemned yourself to a lengthy replacement cycle - 1/4 C*, 3/4 S* oils, drive 100 miles, change filters, now 1/2 and 1/2. Then 100 miles, filter, 3/4 and 1/4. Finally, filters and 100% diesel oil, then change filters and oil at 5K miles. DO NOT abruptly switch to 100% diesel oil.

Because contemporary Service Class oils are fairly robust, it's unlikely you've caused any major damage to the engine, but that can't be ruled out.

I recommend Shell Rotella T 15W/40 or Mobil DelVac 1300 Super 15W/40.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recommend Shell Rotella T 15W/40 or Mobil DelVac 1300 Super 15W/40.

How about Chevron? My local bus company uses that.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My ancient experience with competitors' products favors Mobile.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
The best part of using Shell Rotalla is availablity everywhere. Truck stops, Walmart plus. Both the US and Canada. Not sure about Mexico but probably yes also.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
All Shell products are available world-wide (well, wherever its products are sold), and although formulae may vary from locale to locale, performance will be consistent.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Rusty, what do you mean by "c* and s*"? Is this a recommended mix of auto grade and diesel grade??

Also, what's the problem with a complete switch to diesel grade?

Thanks

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sx (i.e., SH), "Service Class" - for gaso engines.

Cx (i.e., CJ), "Commercial Class" - for diesels.

Depending on what oil you've used, deposits could have built up; diesel oils have a stronger detergent-dispersant, and too much too soon can loosen them too abruptly and cause problems.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke