Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Short Spark Plugs
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Short Spark Plugs
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
One more thing that helps immensely with the headers situation: the right plug wires.

On the 454 with Gibson headers, I have now gone with Moroso 9882M wires. These come with the spark plug end having a 135 degree angled connector, and this allows the boot to avoid header contact. The other end comes unassembled so it is easy to slide a sleeve in place. The wire can then be cut to give a fit without lots of excess, and then you, the RVer will put a new HEI boot and contact in place.

Moroso also makes under header kits for racers and these might be something to try if needed to keep the wires protected from heat. There are wire looms for that purpose as well.

I think my 454 has never run better. It might have been misfiring before, it seems smoother now. Starting is easier, and I also seem to think it is running cooler too.

Happy motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
here is my excitement with a short spark plug... On the way to the quarter midget track last weekend, the engine started running badly. I immediately pulled over, thinking I'd neglected to sufficiently secure the distributor bolt. I pulled off the engine cover and to my surprise I found the #8 wire was on fire. Being the blowhard that I am, I put the fire out, and continued to the track on 7 cylinders.

After the engine cooled, I examined the scene. The Accel plug has a screwed on attachment at the top of the plug for the spring-fit connector in the plug wire to hold to. That unscrewed, and apparently left the wire hanging between the #6 and #8 header tubes, and between that heat and the continued electrical sparking, lit it up.

I am glad there is no fuel seepage or oil seepage on my engine. What a disaster there could have been!

I removed the offending plug and it looked fine. I installed another screw connector, and another plug wire and got home OK.

Wow....

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post