Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    POR-15 Experience?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

POR-15 Experience?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
Has anyone used any products from this company?: http://www.por15.com/default.asp

Some of their claims seem too-good, but if they do in fact work, I can think of many applications for their products.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used alittle, and it has held up well. I know a lot of street rodders have used and swear by it. It has been around for some time too. Like anything it is not a cure all for cheeze cloth.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lee, I have had time today to look over their site and products in more detail, and I feel they do produce quality products. I am going to talk to them next week regarding treating the battery tray in our Barth. Notice they brag of the fact you get to talk to a LIVE person, I kind of feel that in it's self tells you they are caring people. They ain't cheap, but some world famous guy we know says it best. "SHORT CUTS TAKE LONGER". What are you wanting to do with their products? Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
In addition to their rust-prevention products for places like generator box, battery box, frame members, etc, I'm interested in their clear-coat products for aluminum.....The flat-sheet portions of my unit's exterior are currently undergoing a 3-step cleaning/polishing process with Nuvite, ending up with a mirror finish, similar to restored classic aircraft...In my mind, it's beautiful, but like a movie-star wife, requires an awful lot of maintenance and upkeep. POR-15 claims to have a moisture-cure product to seal aluminum to maintain the sheen....I'll probably have to give-up a little of the ego-based luster, but it may be worth it....

If you're talking with them, I'd be interested in the strip-off process of their product if I don't like what I see......

Thanks!

Lee
Wash. DC
'78/24'/P-30/454 (As of today, w/ Brand-New Bilsteins!...My Oh My, what a difference!)

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lee, I just sent them an e-mail requesting info on your concerns, and mine. I want to do the battery box so to speak and the roll out frame of my Kohler generator. Maybe we will have some answers Monday. I requested info on removing their product should one wish to do such. I see their "Glisten PC" is good for mirror aluminum such as polished wheels. I will send to you a copy of their comments. Dale

posted Hide Post
Share with us the 3-step process you are or have undertaken to polish the aluminum. Did you use a buffer, or the armstrong method? What parts of your Barth did you polish? Thanks. Dale

Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Hi Dale, et al,

There are many aluminum/mag polishes & cleaners on the consumer market. All of them do in fact work, some better than others. But purists who are obsessed with bauxite beautification tend to align with a product called Nuvite. (I figure that if it's good enough for Air Force One, it'll probably be good enough for my Barth....)

Unlike other products, Nuvite comes in several grades, each one designed to be used before or after the other. Generally, going from a mildly oxidized surface to mirror finish requires 3, maybe 4 grades & applications. Handwork will do it, but we have powered equipment designed for the job.

You don't HAVE to work your way to mirror finish, and few folks do 'cause of the upkeep, and you can stop at any grade-finish of Nuvite you want and be happy with the results....the problem is that some of us are incapable of stopping at a certain luster, and keep pushing the envelope..Then we have to go through a 12-step program to get our lives back to normal......

Nuvite does NOT remove aluminum...It just "rearranges" aluminum molecules...You can work it forever and still have the same sheet thickness....I can't give you the scientific explanation...I just go on faith (Like I do for God & Marvel Mystery Oil)......

Our aircraft restoration shop has artisans in Nuvite-ology...As Airport Manager, I'm just a Journeyman, so I'll defer details to others. (If interested, our activities are at: www.collegeparkaviationmuseum.com)

For starters, bring up:

http://www.perfectpolish.com/Index.htm

This site gives a better explanation than I could here...Be sure to check-out the Airstream trailer project.....

My plans are to polish the flat-sheet stock (about the top half of the coach) The siding with the patterned profile will remain a flat or semi-satin sheen, similar to anodized aluminum. I think it will make for an interesting contrast, not to mention reducing my workload by about 30%.......

As this silly obsession progresses, I'll post a pic or two.......

Fair Warning: This sweaty, smelly, dirty process will totally turn you off, UNTIL you see the results on some small little area...THEN you will become addicted. A tell-tale sign is when you go to JC Pennys and buy brand-new, 100% cotton undershirts,(about $4 Canadian I'm told), take them home and immediately rip them up into polishing pads...Hopefully, you'll have more self-control than us vintage-aircraft nuts, and know when enough-is-enough.......

Lee

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Lee, being a vintage aircraft nut, I tried the web site. Didn't work.

Here's what ended up working:

http://www.collegeparkaviationmuseum.com

Don't know why.

Geez, a Vincent nut, and old airplane nut, a gravestone repossesser------Barth people are much more interesting than normal people.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lee, I just received e-mailed answers to a couple of my questions. How to prepare rusted metal for paint such as a battery box. "MARINE CLEAN METAL READY" three step process, then Por15, then top coat with paint. Regarding the "GLISTEN PC" clear coat removal, any good paint stripper will remove "EVENTUALLY"...They say and I am sure you will agree to test first to see if you like the finish it produces. They say test because it is not easy to remove. They said though that it is liked by most, and is used on a lot of polished wheels of custom cars and trucks. You might give them a call and who knows they may send to you a 1/2 pint to test. Good talker might get it free. Hope this is of some value to you. I am ordering their Marine clean, and Por15 for my battery box. Dale P.S. Anyone polishing Alum. should review the site Lee has shown. Very interesting. He know from what he speaks.

[This message has been edited by DALE SMITH (edited October 26, 2003).]

Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Thanks!....I'd be interested in their service & products as you get into it.....In the meantime, I think we'll order a small amount of Glisten PC and give it a try on a sample item first (read: non-Barth)

Lee