Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    LED puzzle
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

LED puzzle
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Keith Hopper
posted
I am replacing bulbs with LEDs. Next on the list is two red bulbs that are running lights and signal lights together...the vendor recommends a load resistor to make the signals work right. But this increases current draw. Is this counter-productive? I'm trying to lower the current draw with lights on.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Depends on type of flasher you have. The older style uses a bi-metal strip that requires heat (load) to to change states and the solid state unit the load makes no difference. If you have the old style you can replace it with a solid state unit.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
Thanks where should I look for the flasher?

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I got mine at NAPA - there are at least 2: Turn signals and flashers. I think mine has a third, for the brake lights. I haven't found it yet, so put an 1157 bulb in parallel.

The LED taillights I got (1157-R2W Red 90 Degree from SuperBrightsLEDs.com.) are far superior to the incandescents they replaced.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
I had to replace three flasher cans on my Barth because I changed to LED stop/turn lights.
MY Barth had one can for the left side, one for the right side and one for the four way flashers.

Any NAPA store should have them. Just tell them you need a flasher can for LED's. I got the heavy duty ones so they would also work the lights on my towed vehicle.

The cans on my 1985 Regency were located in the right front storage compartment. Just open the grey electrical box and they should be right there.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
quote:
1157-R2W Red 90 Degree

Just ordered today from SuperBrightLED. I thought I needed dual function for brake lights.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The ones I listed are dual function - tail and brake lights, and are likely brighter than the ones you listed. FWIW, 1157 is a dual filament lamp; 1156 is single.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
Why would you expect those to be brighter? Because they are facing straight out? I don't think I got good advice from tech support...I can switch these out before I install. Yeah, I discovered the filament difference.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I think the ones Rusty used are the same as the ones I used. They are 90 degree and swivel to allow the single 2 watt LED to be centered in the taillight lens. No back scatter, very bright.

Depending on the orientation of the bulb with respect to the lens, the ones you have may work well.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5183 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
Replaced bulbs with LEDs in 2 back-up lights, 4 turn signals, 2 side illumination lights (turn on steady with turn signal on one side), and 2 brake lights.

All is well except turn signals. With all 4 LEDs they don't flash. With 2 front signals LED and 2 rear bulbs, they do flash.

Ideas? Does anybody see a flasher in this photo?

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Picture of dr. bart
posted Hide Post
Do like rusty suggests in another thread... Put regular bulb back in so they flash .. And listen under the dash dash and in the electrical compartment and listen for the flasher clicking....replace it with a new electronic flasher ... I know they should be two maybe three flasher cans...turn signals and four-way flashers... Rusty says there is one for brake lights but I don't know why... Good luck....

Posts: 108 | Location: harrisonburg va | Member Since: 06-14-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What LED part number and mfg. did you use for the non flashing yellow side and top red marker lights?

I would like to change those out first.

Thanks, Mark

Posts: 29 | Location: Cincinnati | Member Since: 08-29-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
Superbrightlights.com

1157-W45-T: 1157 Cool White for non flashing side lights (mine are not amber)

NOTE: I originally posted 1157-R45-T: 1157 Red top marker lights but this is not right; I think I've found the right bulb and will edit this when I know)

BTW I replaced back-ups with 1156 LEDs (1156-WW45-T: 1156 Warm White) and had already replaced the big tractor style back-ups with LEDs (AUX-10W-Rx) and the result is AWESOME. You better have sunglasses on if you stand back there when all four are on in the dark.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat