Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Is this typ of insulation a bad idea ????
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Is this typ of insulation a bad idea ????
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Tim&Gayle
posted
hi I was wondering has anybody done this and is it a bad idea ?????? spray insulation

alex my grandson
we snuck away over the
holidays for a little fun

Posts: 89 | Location: orlando florida | Member Since: 04-23-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
That stuff is great the way it is being used in the picture. The problems arise when you shoot it into a confined space. It grows as it cures. The thin aluminum siding on a camper is no match for the strength this stuff has when it grows. If you spray it on an open wall you can trim it with a saw after it cures. I tried some experiments with it and it holds great.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
We thought about this and decided it was OK if we put a PVC tube in the walls next to all the electrical and plumbing outlets. Without a tube you can't fish a new wire or pipe should you want to upgrade or replace anything. It has great insulating properties however.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
If I had the ambition, that is the one thing I would do to my Breakaway. The insulation that Barth used is absolutely minimal, just the bubble pack, 1/8" luan and foam backing of the vinyl covering, The furnace runs almost constantly when outside temperatures are 30+/- and the settings inside is 65 +/-.

I am looking for a blow in type of insulation that is water proof and fire retardant, so far nothing good has been found. I also am working on trying to route some PVC along the center of the ceiling (in the air space) so that I could route some cables/wires front to back if needed.

We don't spend a lot of time in colder weather so this is not at the top of my list. It could help in the hot weather as well, but so far the roof A/Cs keep up fairly well,still have to run both if outside is over 95 +/-.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
That stuff is great the way it is being used in the picture. The problems arise when you shoot it into a confined space. It grows as it cures. The thin aluminum siding on a camper is no match for the strength this stuff has when it grows.

LOL. I learned that the hard way. When the stuff first hit the market, I used it under the foredeck of an RC boat, for flotation. Not only did it bulge the deck, it bulged the bow, cutting speed and fetching ability significantly. Frowner

I know of folks who used it for insulating, and found their windows would no longer open, due to the bowed frames. One fellow reported that the foam even bowed a stud or two.

There is some non-expanding foam out there now.

quote:
If you spray it on an open wall you can trim it with a saw after it cures.

The bus people love it. They fill up the wall cavities and level it with a rough disk sander.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
I use that stuff on small cracks around the house foundation. There are stories on the internet that some people will have health effects as the material degrades and out-gasses.

Here, a reefer trailer mfr discusses the thermal issues of the degradation:
http://webcache.googleusercont...&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Here are anecdotes of the health effects:
http://www.greenbuildingadviso...pray-foam-insulation

I am not a chemical engineer, but the ingrediant isocyanate sounds too much like cyanide for me to not want to be careful around this material.

Some websites talk about not using this spray foam in attics due to the temperature extremes and accelerated degradation and outgassing.

Concerned,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Formaldehyde used to be a problem with foam, too. I seem to remember that it was banned except for products from China.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Lot's of folk who convert buses do this before installing the interior walls.

As far as running a wire from the front to the back, the prior owner of our Newell or an installer for the automatic sat antenna ran pvc down the center of the roof and ran all the wire from the front compartment (TV) to the rear motosat. Has worked well.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Like I said, I have done some experimenting with this stuff. It is incredibly strong. It sticks to just about anything. You can seal it with just about any paint or primer without degrading it. Unless I had a REALLY GOOD respirator I wouldn't grind it. Those new reciprocating saws can shape this stuff with no problem.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
In 1974, I took a brand new Ford window van I had bought, to a boat builder and had them spray the walls and the ceiling. I had ordered the van stripped. I then covered it with vinyl covered luan on both ceilings and walls. It was very warm in the winter and even w/o ac, not bad in the summer.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I seem to remember that it was banned except for products from China.

A big deal here in Florida has been Chinese drywall, but not due to formaldehyde. The claim is that Chinese drywall out gasses sulfur which in turn attacks all the copper wiring and tubing in homes. There appears to be no detriment to humans except the rotten egg smell that occurs.
My two cents on foam, the two part applications done by a professional are as safe as any modern building material. My Wanderlodge is coated inside and underside with this type of material and it is as good as it gets in combating radiant temp loss as well as water /condensation migration. Up north they were also using sprayed on cellulose, but I would expect it to settle too much in a mobile platform.

Closed cell foam has so many benefits! It's an amazing insulator, it is virtually waterproof, it stabilizes wiring and plumbing components, rodents and insects don't like it, it is light weight. I could go on, but it is the best in insulation.

With foam, you want to be sure to paint/coat any areas exposed to UV when application is complete. It is also beneficial to take a permanent marker and label on top of the foam what is hidden underneath. Remember too that the stuff is virtually impossible to remove when oversprayed/dripped. Know your expansion ratio and take time to completely protect and prepare the job in advance. Go on YouTube and search for do-it-yourself videos if your going to do your own two part application.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
There appears to be no detriment to humans except the rotten egg smell that occurs.

I hate to dis you Corey, but I have personal experience that whatever is in the Chinese drywall will totally disable anyone in contact with it for any length of time. Our gov, Charlie Christ, was in a house for less than three minutes and it took him 3 days to recover. We won't even consider working on these jobs, since going on site to give estimates made us so sick it took days to recover. We may never know what exactly is causing the problem, but don't downplay the seriousness of what they placed in our homes.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate to dis you Corey,

I'm with ya brother. No Chinese drywall endorsement here. I was making people aware it's another issue. I didn't realize how bad though.

Foam good, Chinese drywall bad!

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I would not breathe or swallow anything from China.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I would not breathe or swallow anything from China.

Rather fond of eggroll and TsingTao.