Barthmobile Portal
Waste Tanks are very repairable

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/6221097061

04-26-2002, 10:57 PM
davebowers
Waste Tanks are very repairable
If you have a cracked or leaking black or gray water tank, you should know that these tanks are very easily repairable. In most cases you don't need a new tank. I used epoxy resin and fiber glass fabric from Home Depot. The fix will probably outlast the rest of the tank.
06-03-2002, 10:58 PM
davebowers
Just great. I used your standard two part epoxy that you can get from Home Depot however, by RV guru, Roland tells me that you standard PVC cement or ABS cement works much better, especially if your aren't as diligent at cleaning the area. We just cameback from another trip today. I think I have put 6,000 miles on since the repair with our an incident. Now if you want to spend a little more money and go to a little more hassle. Then, drop the tank, clean it our reeeaaal good and then have a guy that does plastic welding put a bead on the inside and out. Much cheaper than a new tank by 100's and will still last forever.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

06-06-2002, 11:02 AM
sdaniels
Thanks, Dave, for the info. I have a very slight leak at the joint between the tank and the pipe to the valve. I'll try re-cementing it first. Hopefully I won't have to drop the tank.
06-07-2002, 06:09 AM
bill h
To repair an ABS tank, I make a putty of ABS filings and ABS cement. It is almost as good as a weld, and you can build it up and force it into cracks.

I do not have much faith in repairing Polyethelene tanks by any means other than welding. A small leak can be sealed with Eternabond.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited March 12, 2004).]