Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Heat tape
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Heat tape
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Sloop John B
posted
As I was reading tonight, was that some AC units have heat tapes. Mine has a setting for heat on single AC roof unit, but turning to this setting is a solid nothing.. Can a heat tape be added to AC , how do I know if I have a heat tape, can you add a heat tape? Do I need a heat tape? Confused JKB

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I was going to add heat tape to my AC unit. I checked and was told I would need a new control switch and the heat tape strips.

I was also told that the heat strips are really useless so, "I keep me money in me pocket!"

I think I got this advice here but can't say for sure.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
If switching to the "heat" position does nothing, odds are you don't have a heat strip. It should at least turn the blower on.

Both of my a/c's have heat strips. IMHO, you're better off with a small portable electric heater. The a/c blowers are noisy in any event, and they blow hard enough so it takes forever to get any heat out of them. I'm sure you could get a small quality heater for much less than installing a heat tape in the a/c.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Being something of a wuss (unlike Bill N Y, I don't thrive crawling around under crapped-out trucks at -40 F); I like a bit of warmth in the coach in the winter. My Barth has heat strips (which work) but I carry a small space heater which I'll use in the winter. The issue with the A/C heat strips is that they're in the most useless place - on the ceiling. Heat rises, so the best place for them is on the floor.

With the little space heater (with the same capacity as the heat strips), I can put it in the bedroom, shut the door, and it keeps me warm. When I shut the door, the A/C unit is of no use at all...and it has to heat the entire coach if I leave the door open, so it's not as effective.

So, I'm with Bill N Y - fuggetaboudit! Get a nice little space heater from Wal-Mart for when you're hooked up to electricjuicity. Otherwise the propane furnace works well...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Ours has heat tapes in the original Colemans. They are not useless, but do not heat as well as the usual portable fan-driven electric heater. And they don't heat up the bathroom before a shower. If I wanted 110 volt heat for sleeping, I would use a heated mattress pad. That is what our cat talked us into for her bed.

We are never plugged in anyway, so if they are easy to remove, someone can have them whenever I get the time to remove them.

Let me know.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info.. I have a heater from the camping days in the popup. Sounds like the way to go.. JKB

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Anyone want to debate the merits of this. Carbon Monoxide poisoning and fire are two things that comes to mind. I have a detector and only use it in the spring, summer and early fall so I'm not too worried but feel this might be a good place to post how people heat there coaches and how one protects themselves.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post