Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    on Awnings?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

on Awnings?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Do I need an awning?

My thinking at present is that I do not and that it is a hindrance because my utmost concern is getting the best fuel mileage possible.

What do you think?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
I would be amazed if you could even tell a difference in fuel economy based on whether or not
you have an awning. Argue cost, hassle or other things but fuel economy is not a good reason. If
you spend time in even moderately warm weather I consider an awning a must and top of the line models will usually have individual window awnings in addition to the patio awning.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Since the Maritimes are perpetually cloudy, none is needed...Big Grin

Seriously, awnings have no measurable effect on fuel economy (assuming they're rolled up).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
In theory, any drag reduces mileage. But, in reality for most of us, what Rusty said. When you look at all the drag-causing stuff on a MH,the frontal area of an awning is negligible.

I believe you would need a bullet Airstream trailer with a full belly pan and no AC on the roof to measure a difference.

However, I may streamline the front and rear of my awning spool, just in case.................I figure a hemisphere in front and an nice long tapered cone in back. Smiler

We would be without an awning. Not only does it provide shade and rain protection, it provides mounting for our windbreaks and helps keep in the heat from our brazier. Susan likes little candle lanterns hung from the awning, too. It also serves as a clothesline at times.

When you camp, check out who has awnings and who doesn't. See the advantages of each, and see what works for you.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Some folks do without, but we consider the awning as an integral part of the home. It's the first thing set up and the last thing down at each camp. It keeps the dew off anything under it, keeps the ground dry in the door area, provides shade and rain protection, and the screen room would look pretty goofy without it. With a few times practicing, it takes less than a minute to deploy or furl. I can't imagine Barthing without it.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I would like to get a screen room for my awning.

It is a ZipDee but most screen rooms are made for A&E and other brands.

Does anyone know of a screen room to fit the ZipDee?

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
It's been years since we had a screen room, but my recollection is that the front slid into the awning slot and the sides zipped to the front and snapped to the side of the RV. The tops had spring-loaded telescopic arms that were flattened at the RV end and fit in the track groove there. The outside ends are a little hazy in my memory, but I think they had notches that engaged the awning axle.

I would think a screen room could be adapted from one awning make to another without too much trouble.

I have made similar arms myself for the wind curtains we had made of shade cloth, but presently just use squeeze clamps to attach the side curtains. Quite often, we don't even use the side curtain, and just use the front screen and cover only part of the front, wrapping enough around the side to reach the side of the coach to block the wind. I don't like the wind interfering with my BBQ-ing or smoking. (meat, not cigars Smiler)

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't like the wind interfering with my BBQ-ing or smoking. (meat, not cigars )

What would you think we were thinking?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
quote:
I don't like the wind interfering with my BBQ-ing or smoking. (meat, not cigars )

What would you think we were thinking?

Well, actually, I do enjoy a cigar when watching a campfire.

And still-fishing.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I really like my awning and the screen room, just like having a deck.
I've always been partial to smoked fish but they are hard to keep lit...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I noticed this when I went looking for a screen room. I popriveted a receiver into my Zipdee awning and installed an add a room which was half the price of a zipdee compatible screen room. Works great even after three years.

quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
I would like to get a screen room for my awning.

It is a ZipDee but most screen rooms are made for A&E and other brands.

Does anyone know of a screen room to fit the ZipDee?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
What is a "receiver"?

Thanks, K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post