Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Front Air Bag Replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Front Air Bag Replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of flashnyellow
posted
We decided to load up the Barth and travel west before Katrina hit. We live 140 mile west of New Orleans. We did not get much in this area. Our prayers are with the people of New Orleans.

I was checking the air in the front airbags and the drivers side was empty and would not hold air. I have not had a chance to check if it is a line or bag leak. I searched and saw Dave's link to Camping World for the bags. I also saw Bill h's post about cutting out the old bag and warming up the new bag and slip it inside the spring. If it is the bag leaking do I have to lift the frame or do this as it sits?

Thanks

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The book says to jack it up to the max travel.

If you replace one, it would be wise to deflate the opposite bag, inflate them both, then lower it & adjust the pressure to the appropriate level.

If one has failed from old age, it would be wisest of all to replace them both.

If I wasn't at home, unless I had a good place to work, & the necessary tools, I'd bite the bullet & have it done professionally.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post

Airlift 1000's are just $72 a pair at CW and they are always having installation specials if you are close to one. Actually, once I went there for a Fantastic Vent fan in the bathroom and I said, "aren't you guys having some installation special on these". The guy said, "no that was over a month ago, but I'll give it to you anyway". Cool huh, so give it a shot....

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only raise the coach high enough to fully extend the springs. Warming the bags (new) helps. Squeeze the bag and tie it tightly with zip-ties. Getting it through the hole is the big trick! Don't for get the washer!!! Cut the ties once you get the bag into place. Some soap on the bag helps too.

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information. I will look at it this weekend.

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
It was a ruptured bag. I replaced with Air Lift 1000 #81560. It was not to bad to change.

Thanks again for the tips and information.

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
posted Hide Post
Okay-we replaced the front bags on our '85 30ft P-30 Regal. The former were shot and in pieces.
Since we have no information on the rig, we can't figure what pressure to pump up the new bags to...frustration!
Any suggestions?

Thanks to all.

Posts: 77 | Location: IN | Member Since: 09-30-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Ask and you shall receive… mechanic

It depends on the load. (Personally, I think this was GMs typical way to save a few pennies. Instead of different custom springs for each axle weight, they used the same springs for all. Then used the air bags to achieve the correct ride height with different pressures.)

Here is some info from the 1997 GM motorhome guide. The important thing is to get the front ride height correct, (chassis level) otherwise handling will suffer.

If I ever get around to replacing my ball joints I will take the opportunity to replace the springs with aftermarket springs. They come in 200 lb increments, can be ordered to match your weighed front end, have progressive spring rates for better ride and eliminate need for air bags as well. Meanwhile I am running about 70 psi in mine, as I recall.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
I run about 50 lbs. in the front coil bags. Then use the air bags in the back to level the coach(after loaded). I also have the shorter chassis.
The pressure is different depending on chassis length.

Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, you are awesome!
Steve-thank you for the scan-we'll print it and stow it with the slowly growing data for the coach.
Bob-thank you as well...
Someday, we'll do what you mentioned, Steve, and update, modernize, and improve the suspension. But, for now, we'll go as we need. Drive train is the most important part of the coach and we won't fudge on this.
Thank you again!

Posts: 77 | Location: IN | Member Since: 09-30-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Minor thread drift, but…

The most significant suspension change I have made so far is the installation of the heavy duty front anti sway bar. I used Hellwig, IPD makes them, also. Easy to install, huge improvement in stability, highly recommended.

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post