Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Mirror & Window Replacement Issues
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Mirror & Window Replacement Issues
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted
A couple of weeks ago I "accidently" ripped the passenger side mirror off my 92 Breakaway. Velvac sent me working drawings & instructions for fixing it which were very helpful. The problem is the plywood that it was screwed into seems to have "disappeared" in the wall. I am guessing that it splintered and fell down inside the wall requiring the removal of the passenger window to access the void. QUESTIONS: (1) Has anyone removed one of these windows? (2) What is inside the wall? (3) Does anyone have pictures/schematics showing the construction before I tear into this?

Thank you. Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
had a similar loose mirror mount...when I removed mirror found it was sheetmetal screwed to MH exterior skin and screw holes had enlarged over time. Cut some 1/8th inch sheet aluminum to a size slightly larger than mirror base...drilled a 1" wire loom hole in the center and 4 small pilot holes for the new (larger) stainless sheetmetal screws...used construction adhesive to fasten this new plate to MH...re-attached mirror and wiring and its been nice and tight with less vibration than before. I did not find any factory plywood backer plate. I chose to cut wires where they entered dash area and remove mirror completely to repaint. If you don't want to go that route just cut a slot in 1/8 plate from the 1" wire hole you drilled and just slip wire loom in before gluing plate. good luck

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Odd. On mine, the driver's side mirror was working loose. I removed, all but one screw, and filled the holes with J-B Weld fortified with aluminum shavings, redrilled, and reinstalled. Mine has a plywood backing plate.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post