Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Ignition coil 1975 '20 ft w/ Chevy 350 or 400
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ignition coil 1975 '20 ft w/ Chevy 350 or 400
 Login now/Join our community

posted
The old coil is shot. Do I replace it with one that says: "12 volt - use with external resistor"?

Thanks y'all.

Todd

Posts: 2 | Location: Dallas Texas | Member Since: 07-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
'75 was about the time of the transition from points and a condenser, to the GM HEI (High Energy Ignition) system. Which do you have? It might be a good time to go HEI if you don't have that already.
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 526 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the points and condensor version. Oh, I forgot to mention that the old (looked to be original coil and measured nothing on ohm meter) coil was deteriorated on the sides and there's no way of telling what it ever said. Thus my question. I'm looking to buy this RV, but I've kindof volunteered to try to get it started and don't want to spend much money on it. The fellow has a couple of old coils, but they all say that they are for external resistors or resistor wire.

Thanks much!!

Todd

Posts: 2 | Location: Dallas Texas | Member Since: 07-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
To get it started it doesn't matter. If it needs an external resistor the voltage will be higher to the points, no big deal for the first 1000 miles or more.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Most 12 volt coils are not really 12 volts. They are 8 volts or so, with a dropping resistor or resistance wire used to lower the voltage when the coil load is on the circuit.

Engines usually benefit from a hotter spark when starting, so the starter solenoid provides a terminal to bypass the resistor or resistance wire and provide a full 12 volts to the coil for the time the starter is engaged. This extra hot spark is a little hard on the points, but it makes little difference for the short time it is used. If the solenoid has two small wires on separate terminals, the vehicle is wired for a resistor or resistance wire. One is hot from the starter switch and the other is hot going directly to the coil, bypassing the resistor. The studs on the solenoid are 10 32 and 8 32, with the wire terminals matched, so you get some help in reconnecting if they are removed from the studs.

Does the coach have the Barth build tag? The numbers might help Nick use his secret decoder ring to tell you for sure which coil is which.

I will agree with BBM on the desirability of HEI, but, in your situation, it looks like coil is the way to go. How do his other coils test?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post