Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    T-105 batteries are in
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

T-105 batteries are in
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Finsihed installation of the T-105 golf cart batteries today, what a difference in available power!

Here is the compartment just after removing the Optimas, pretty ugly!

I cleaned the rust off

Epoxy primed and painted the compartment, added the rulers to show size

Fabricated a stainless steel battery tray and hold-down

Compartment with tray installed

Batteries installed

View of batteries thru the compartment door

More pictures may be seen at this site
T105 batteries

Next task---move the steering column ahead about 3-4 inches

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Very nice, you do good work! A properly restrained battery will last a lot longer then one just placed into a battery tray. Cool

I'm going to make another suggestion, please don't take this as a critique. You should apply a heavy layer of paint to the upper battery hold down bracket - Any moisture that lies on top of the battery will allow electricity to leach over to the hold down brace and cause corrosion. Battery protection spray is also another plus.

Been there, done that - you might as well learn from my earlier mistake.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, I will do that, great idea, these being flooded type will get wet a lot on top. I was going to put a 1/8 inch neoprene gasket all the way around the hold down to prevent any contact of metal to the battery cases, I have that and some other small details to wrap up this installation. Am also looking at a water fill design similar to what the solar people use to eliminate some of the mess associated with topping off the batteries.

I am now on the hunt for a GOOD latching relay to bring the house batteries on line for house power, I have seen several types and don't like any of them so far. I have never liked the idea of the house power relay drawing 2 amps the entire time I am on battery power! The solar charger is connected directly to the battery bank so it can add some charge to the batteries if they are off the house power line.

The other interesting dilemma is the charging circuit on this coach, the house batteries are brought on the charging line (chassis power circuit) as soon as the key is in the run position, there is no isolator! I don't mind this way but didn't like the fact that these batteries stay on the chassis power circuit even in the "start" key position, There was no way of taking the house batteries off the chassis circuit as long as the key is on. I have made a slight mod to this where I use the engine oil pressure signal to prevent the house batteries from being switched on to the chassis circuit before the engine is running. The battery switch on the dash will still over ride this so I can "jump" either the house batteries or chassis batteries to each other if required. I like to keep the house power and the chassis power separate for obvious reasons!

I am kinda leaning toward installing a high current isolator as any other method becomes needlessly complex, but I would have to change the regulator (to add a sense terminal) in the new alternator that I just installed, it is a single wire alternator and can not be used with isolators. The current alternator must have battery voltage present at the output terminal to "flash" and there would be no way to feedback or "sense" the battery voltage to compensate for the isolator voltage drop.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once you are done fixing and improving your Breakaway, you'll of course let me know when you are ready to sell it to me.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
being flooded type will get wet a lot on top. Am also looking at a water fill design similar to what the solar people use to eliminate some of the mess associated with topping off the batteries.

If you do the mineral oil thing the batts will stay pretty dry on top and need very little servicing if you have a smart charger.

Sprinkling baking soda on top and leaving it is unattractive but efficient.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Re: N.Y, Bill's comments on exposed metal hold downs - I too have been there, done that when I fabricated a hold down for my recently installed 6V batts.

Having a lifetime habit of making-do with what's available, I substituted a piece of a one buck, swap meet, 3/4" square, plastic yardstick, for the metal strap. Not as sanitary as the original, but so far no more corrosion.

The neoprene gasket is a good idea, but it won't be foolproof. You'll still have acid fumes working on the metal even if the electrolyte doesn't oveflow. El Segundo Bill's advice about mineral oil is something we all perhaps should try.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed, your craftsmanship is impressive! After testing several relays, I chose this one:

http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/5911097361/p/5

When are you coming down to Huntington Beach? We want to swing by and say hello... Smiler

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry, I seem to remember this thread, May I assume that your relay is working properly now? Didn't you have some trouble with one of those types?

I am planning a trip to SoCAL in January near the end of the month, and will absolutely swing by to meet if you would be avialable. I had hoped to make the trip earlier but doesn't look like it now. will keep you informed.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:
...3/4" square, plastic yardstick...

Maybe that's why it was so cheap. Razzer

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hilarlee:
Ed, your craftsmanship is impressive! After testing several relays, I chose this one:

The link to that relay is

http://www.intellitec.com/pdfs/BATTERY_web/5300507.000.pdf

I heard back from hilarlee after they did this and have always wondered how they made out. That one private email said they got it going and I was hoping to hear a follow up report back on that same thread.

I'm guessing, if there recommending, it must be good to go... Cool

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Caution: Terminal thread Drift - My 3/4" sq. plastic yardstick was an object of multiple uses. It had one end beveled to make a handle so it could be used as a cane to walk with. There was a rawhide lanyard through it so it could be used a nightstick for attack or defense, and it was graduated in inches so one could measure things with it.

I used it for none of the above, but in addition to the battery hold down, I cut 3 short pieces & used them to raise my toilet seat. I still have a little piece of it in my trove of things I have no further use for, but are too good to throw away. Who knows what other use I might find for it?

It was one of those marvelous Made-in-China mysteries of dubious usefulness that one occasionally finds in Dollar Stores or swap meets.
But it done real good for me.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post