Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tires
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tires
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello All, I am sure I have seen discussions regarding tires on the site before, but have not been able to find the info I am looking for now that I need it.

I have a 1981, 28 foot, Euro like Dan's. Since I puchased it I have only taken one short trip. My wife and I love the coach. While recently inswtalling front airbags, I noticed that the front tires are worn on the inside. I plan to use Bill,s ride height charts, if I can figure out how to interpret them, buy new tires and have the front end aligned.

My question is what tires should I buy? In tire size 8R19.5, Load range F I can get Bridgestones or Kelly's which I have been told are Goodyears. Out the door the Bridgestones will be approximately $300 more for four tires. The coach came with two new tires on it.

Is anyone familiar with these two brans, and if so what has been your experiance?

Barry

Posts: 43 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Member Since: 11-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I've had good experience with Bridgestones - better than my experience with Michelins. I know nothing about Kelly tires.

Tire manufacturing has been highly internationalized. With that, and the proliferation of store brands, it's hard to say exactly where, and in whose factory, tires were actually produced.

The next tires I buy for the front of my rig, at least, will be metric, i.e., P225R 19.5, or P235s. They have a visibly wider tread than the 8R 19.5s. Make sure your tire guy knows your rim width, and whether it's wide enough to take the wider metrics.

Make sure that whatever you buy has a load range equal to, or greater than the tires you take off.

It wouldn't hurt to have your rig weighed with a normal load to be sure all your tires have enough capacity for the weight, and you're carrying enough pressure.

Click on search in the forum header, and you'l find several threads on tires.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I share Olroy's opinion on both Bridgestone and Michelin. There are a lot of happy Toyo owners, too.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Hey Barry, I put Bridgestone 8s on the Euro. The tire store guy said I didn't have wide enough rims to go to a wider size, and I'm told the coach will track straighter with a narrower tire anyway. The BS tires were way less than Michs or Toyos, and something to consider might be the salesman's thoughts. He said that in all his years of selling tires he never put tires on an RV that had been worn out. They always weather check or fall apart before you can wear them out. These tires are made for trucks that run all day every day, and very few RV's see this kind of use. Keep them covered from the sun, don't let them sit in one spot too long, and maintain the proper air pressure, and they should last you pretnear forever.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Zeeff:
...............don't let them sit in one spot too long, and maintain the proper air pressure............

That is the best tire advice you will ever get.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post