Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tires and Bags
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tires and Bags
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted
I am looking at a 300 hp 93 36' Can anyone give an estimate for a set of tires.
Do the air bags for the suspension need replacing and if so how much including labor.

Thanks
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
My two cents - you should plan on around $400 each for tires, you could probably find them for less, but could also pay around $500 each depending on what brand you want. There are many different opinions about air bags, but they all hold air now without leaking, I wouldn't think you would need to replace them. I believe they are in the $700 range plus install. Good Luck on the purchase! Tom

Posts: 25 | Location: bardstown, ky | Member Since: 05-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
According to Gillig (the chassis on my coach) the suspension bags only get replaced if they somehow leak. That is a very rare happening, so if they inflate and hold their levels when traveling forget about them. There are many instances of bags deflating when parked or when sitting for a while - this is usually the lines or valves that lead from the tanks to the bags and not the bags themselves. Gillig NEVER used junctions or "T's" in air lines so the only points of connection are at the tank and the bag, nothing in between. The dryer is between the compressor and the tank. If it does not hold the suspension when the engine is off have the lines checked. Many others here have discussed how to trace a leak.
Good luck!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"There are many instances of bags deflating when parked or when sitting for a while"...

When I had a leak in one of the leveling valves my bags would deflate from 110 to zero in about 6 hours; since I had it fixed pressure goes all the way down overnight (14 hours?); when new it did the same. When the bags are all the way down it is sitting on hard suspension, and it hasn't seemed top hurt it. MY fear: On jacks, bags empty, raising the jacks and dropping with a hard jolt and ruining something - perhaps the bags. DON'T RAISE YOUR JACKS WITH EMPTY BAGS! Red Face

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
My coach has the HWH leveling system. I have the instruction manual which confirms what Gunner says. If you dumped air to lower coach onto the jacks you should start the engine, let the pressure build (switch off the dump switch) and the coach will elevate. Then when the coach has leveled out you can retract the jacks and be on your way. HWH has the book online if you don't have one.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post